Cultivated Reef

My aquafuge arrived today!

Billdemart

My aquafuge arrived today!

Hopefully it will help my tank get rid of this crap hair algae.

I have some questions however.

How much Live Sand should I put in it? How much live rock? What type of lighting?

I got the middle sized aquafuge.

Thanks!

Bill

I got the middle sized fuge as well.

I filled the fuge with about 1 and 1/2" of LS. Threw in 4 smaller sized chunks of LR (rubble really). Big chunk of various types of macro and got the Jalli 13 watt pc light from PremiumAquatics.com that fits over the fuge like it was made for it.

HTH!

Thanks very helpful except that i can't read anything on that premium aquatics website. Its terrible. I couldn't find the light.

I looked over at hello lights but couldn't find it there either. Is there anywhere else to get this light?

Thanks,

Bill

Well I found a site that has it as well as the 13 watt 1/2 actinic 1/2 daylight bulb. Is that what I should get?

Thanks!

Bill

I filled mine with about 4-5" of sand, until it was level with the divider by the first chamber. I think this may help with denitrifcation, and it helps to keep to much dtritrus from settling, since there's no more deadspots next to the acrylic. I also have the sand sloping up towards the exit chamber. I can see from the side black stuff in the sand which leads me to believe it's working properly.

I have a 13w over mine, which is a little shorter than I would like (I also have the 18" version). You could just use a 20w NO blub that is meant for a 10g tank, or you could get a 28w PC.

But for simplicity sake, and to go easy on the pocketbook, the 13 watt should be fine.

Hi Bill, I see you have algae as well? Since we have the same rock and the approximate same tank age, I guess we were due for the bloom, eh?

I tried to make a fuge/sump under my tank and it almost worked, but I couldn't adjust my durso standpipe and overflow properly to make it quiet, so I gave up until the algae resides. I'm hoping my crew will help (I scrubbed some of the rock with a toothbrush).

I have 1 red legged hermit, 2-4 blue legged hermits (some are MIA) one astrea snail, two nassarius snails, one mexican turbo (huge!) and two trochus (not tiger :( )... I also disabled 36w of my lights so I'm running a 50/50 36w now and I draped a towel over one side of the tank where I suspect daytime sunlight is feeding the algae.

I hate to say it, but misery loves company and knowing that you have hair algae too makes me feel less like it's my fault that the algae is there!!

Good luck with the fuge!

V

Bill,

Your neighbor here. :)

I have some caluerpa algae for you. I clip the stuff out all the time. If you need some it is here. PM me.

Congrats on the new fuge!

I currently have the ac300 converted to a fuge, but am working with a guy now to make this one for me:

i-1.JPG

I asked him to make it 12x11x4-4.5" seems like a really nice fuge. Also comes with its own black over flow box that is adjustable for inside the tank. Should I make it longer? Like 14"?

Thanks.

Archived