Top Shelf Aquatics

new TDS meter purchase

ldballoon4

I recently picked up m a combo meter from HM digital.

I dont have the ability to mix RODI water at home . So i take a chance everytime I go to the LFS and buy their water.

Now im ready to test their next batch for TDS.

What readings should I see?

what about maximums?

Thanks

I recently picked up m a combo meter from HM digital.

I dont have the ability to mix RODI water at home . So i take a chance everytime I go to the LFS and buy their water.

Now im ready to test their next batch for TDS.

What readings should I see?

what about maximums?

Thanks

It should be zero, or at the very least in the single digits if its just RO. If you are buying pre-mixed salt water, then I have no idea.

ideally 0ppm. my ro filter sucks, it tested at 20ppm recently but I was told that wasn't "too bad" I don't have any algae problems other than constantly cleaning the glass. I am getting a new ro filter this weekend. It'll also be nice to have a filter that is rated at 50+gpd instead like 5gpd.

Always good to check your source water for TDS once in a while.

The Propagator

Sure wont. It will make it go hay wire because it reads from conductivity.

Basically it will read so high it wont register.

• 1 month later...

I just got my TDS meter as well and I'm trying to find the cleanest water near my home. So far the Publix down the street from me has the best (so far) @ a TDS reading of 10.... Is this acceptable? I tested two other 5g Jugs I filled from a different store and I had a TDS reading of 58 :o looks like those jugs will be for my water cooler.

I am still going to test three other water sources near me for a possible single digit readings. I don't want to have to buy a RO/DI unit as my tap water is crap @ 400+ TDS I would be going through filters too often.

I just got my TDS meter today. I tested my home unit and it read 008. Is that OK?? It's been up and running for about 2 months.

I just got my TDS meter today. I tested my home unit and it read 008. Is that OK?? It's been up and running for about 2 months.

RO or RO/DI?

RO should remove on the order of 95% of TDS (will vary with membrane and pressure - look for a curve in your documentation.) If your incoming water is well water it could easily be 400 PPM and 5% of that is 20ppm.

The DI resin should remove the rest. If you are using an RO/DI unit, your resin could be exhausted or there could be a channel causing water to bypass the resin - a possible problem with horizontal resin beds.

Our incoming water is about 140 ppm and after the RO/DI it reads 0.

HTH,

hank

RO or RO/DI?

RO should remove on the order of 95% of TDS (will vary with membrane and pressure - look for a curve in your documentation.) If your incoming water is well water it could easily be 400 PPM and 5% of that is 20ppm.

The DI resin should remove the rest. If you are using an RO/DI unit, your resin could be exhausted or there could be a channel causing water to bypass the resin - a possible problem with horizontal resin beds.

Our incoming water is about 140 ppm and after the RO/DI it reads 0.

HTH,

hank

OK Hank that totally went over my head!! I believe it's only an RO unit. I got it at Home Depot and it's a GE Smartwater system. anyway, when I tested it came out at 008. So since it is not DI also is this acceptable?? Didn't realize there was a difference between RO and RO/DI.

Edit: I am on city water. I didn't test my home water but I'm going to tonight when I get home from work.

Scott Riemer

A TDS of 8 is good. I mean, ideally, I want 0. But, if you already have a system that's giving you a TDS of 8, I personally would probably use it unless I saw a problem. While I'd never recommend it, some people get away with using straight tap.

A TDS of 8 is good. I mean, ideally, I want 0. But, if you already have a system that's giving you a TDS of 8, I personally would probably use it unless I saw a problem. While I'd never recommend it, some people get away with using straight tap.

Thanks!! Now that you put it that way I guess I'm trying to be too "perfect". I stress about everything in my tank that is out of the "norm". If I start getting some algae or red slime I get all worried. I'm telling you!...this is a stressful hobby!!!

Archived