Pod Your Reef

I discoverd TWO new cost effective cures for Zoapox and Zoa fungus !

The Propagator

I just treated my zoas with Furan 2, as specified on zoaid. It was cheap enough at $8 for the whole treatment (over 4 days). I'm hoping next week they will be completely cured.

The Propagator
I should have been more specific.

I meant: Where did you get the Furazolidone powder?

Jack's Aquariums and Pets. You probably don't have one in your area though.

Try Pets mart or Petco. Tractor supply stores also sell it.

• 2 months later...

I found some furoplex @ my lfs. Going to give it a shot. It my only hope since I have about 6 or 7 colonies now infected with zoapox!

I'll be buying my last 2 packs of capsules of furan-2 hopefully to finish up curing my zoopox tomorrow hopefully I can manange to save my few $75 a polyp zoo's out of a huge collection fingers crossed

I'll be buying my last 2 packs of capsules of furan-2 hopefully to finish up curing my zoopox tomorrow hopefully I can manange to save my few $75 a polyp zoo's out of a huge collection fingers crossed

$75 a polyp! Holy crap. And I'm over here worried about my most expensive colony being $75... Couple more treatments to go, I'll let you all know the results of the cheap furan.

Well the stuff I used with furazolidone didn't work... The zoapox still destroyed 4 of my six colonies and counting. My avitar is no longer accurate... :tears:

Did you do only one dip or did you do 3-4 dips in a row (one dip per day)?

If you only do one dip, it surges back worse than before.

I follow the instructions from here.

Carlton'sTank
Did you do only one dip or did you do 3-4 dips in a row (one dip per day)?

If you only do one dip, it surges back worse than before.

I follow the instructions from here.

Fosi is right. After the first initial dip you need to follow it up for two to three more days. I always noticed after the first day of Furan-2 dips the pox come back strong. To me it always seemed as the last stand, like the pox are making one final push before giving up.

I need to get the cheap furan and give it a shot. Thanks for the info prop.

Going to try the alk trick today, I have some palys that have that fungus.

I missed a day in between each dip due to my schedule, I didn't think it made a difference. Well, I'll give it a shot whenever I get zoas again and if I have this problem... sigh.

I went throu the same thing where I did 3 treatments in a row then stoped the treatments thinking it was gone and soon enough it came back in a few weeks

so I did 3 treatments recently then took a 4 day rest and repeated another 3 treatments and so far it looks like I am in the clear

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed 3 of my Zoo colonies have Zoapox. I look at my Pico 150 times a day and they were fine yesterday but not today.

I will do the Furan treatment this week and post my experience.

• 1 month later...

I found this post because I was looking to see if anyone had the same experience as me. I was treating my BC29 with furan 2 because of some sick fish and discovered after the cycle that all my red slime was gone! Apleasant suprise!

JASON

what will the furan do to corals and beneficial bacteria if used to treat red slime?

Nothing to the corals if used as directed here and elsewhere. I am sure that it knocks back other mirobes as well since furazolidone is a broad-spectrum antimicrobial. I woudln't worry too much about it though. They bounce back quick and they vastly outnumber the cyano cells.

Personally, I wouldn't do a whole-system dose.

As I said elsewhere in this thread:

Furazolidone is listed as an antibacterial, not and antibiotic and it will work on fungi and protozoans as well. It is believed to work by crosslinking DNA (a very bad thing). IMO, furazolidone would be better called an "antimicrobial" like triclosan or benzalkonium chloride because it is a generalist chemical.

Antibiotics are generally very specific in their biochemical mode of action, usually targeting cellular machinery that is specific to bacteria. This is why it is sometimes a "see if it works" thing with bad infections in humans and animals.

An example of this specificity would be Benzylpenicillin which stops bacterial cells from dividing by inhibiting the formation of peptidoglycan crosslinks (these hold the cell membrane together). Benzylpenicillin also affects cyanobacteria and the division of choloroplasts in some plants.

Another example would be Neomycin, which inhibits protein synthesis by interfering with the function of the 30S ribosomal subunit.

Furazolidone will affect more than just the taxa of interest, which is why I would say you should never dose your entire system with it. Better to take frags or colonies out and dip them.

EDIT: 30S not 20S. :slap:

Archived