Top Shelf Aquatics

API test kit work on freshwater?

Tbone675

I don't see why not, nitrate is nitrate. I have used mine to test my FW tank, nitrates were really high, but that is expected

The same nitrate test will work on freshwater, but you need a chart for freshwater.

If you bought the nitrate only kit, then it comes with both fresh and saltwater chart.

If your nitrate test came from the reef master kit, then you will have the saltwater chart only.

would my API saltwater nitrate test kit be accurate on freshwater? just wondering..

why would the charts be any different. Isn't it measuring nitrate, same amounts can be detected in water no matter if it is salt or freshwater. I don't see how 25ppm of nitrate is different in FW than SW.

Now maybe the chart would tell you a "safe" zone, but that is easily researched.

The colors will come out different, you cannot use the saltwater chart on freshwater.

That is why the chart is labeled saltwater. If the same chart can be used, then it will be labeled saltwater and freshwater, like for nitrite. Ammonia and PH test will also have separate charts for salt and fresh water, but the test liquid is the same.

why would the charts be any different. Isn't it measuring nitrate, same amounts can be detected in water no matter if it is salt or freshwater. I don't see how 25ppm of nitrate is different in FW than SW.

Now maybe the chart would tell you a "safe" zone, but that is easily researched.

they are darn close in range, but they are a little different. Low levels are the same though.

The PH will be different because you are testing for lower levels.

Saltwater is on the left, fresh on the right

pPETS-3757100t400.jpg

Archived