I did a Wc and here are my Parameters:

instant ocean

calcium:180

alk: 6.2

ph: 8.6

salt: 1.023

Mg:900ppm

everything else is low

I've had my tank up for 3 months...hardly any coraline growing.

livestock:

yellow polyps, ricordea, clown,

emerald crab, 3 nass snails, 1 astrea snail,

eclipse 6 gal, no filter, 7 lbs LR, , 2 inch sand bed, 32 CSL

Polyps havce been growing nice ...ricordea seems fine...clown looks happy...

I'm currently dosing drops of Coral Accel and dosing with DT's Phto every other day...

I 'd like to increase the CA, ALK, MG...

Thinking about dosing with reef complete...maybe Bionic 2 part system

What should I do? I'd like to keep hard corals...

WHOA, Mnesarchus is totally right!

And as far as coraline algae........patients.....it took my tank 8 months before it started to really explode. When that happens it's hard to keep the glass clean as well as the PH's.

oh yeah, I'm using B-ionic.

kalkwasser will help with the calcium issue, and it's cheap. Just be careful about adding it properly (drip it in slowly overnight).

You now have the opportunity to see the difference kalk makes. Start adding some and then watch the tank over the next two weeks. Report back to tell us if your coralline starts to spread!

You can get Mrs. Wages pickling lime on line, or go to Walmart, ask for their canning/pickling section and see if thy have any Ball's Pickling lime. Pickling lime is calcium hydroxide, mix about a teaspoon to a gallon of good water (RO, distilled, whatever) to make kalkwasser then drip it in. (Do a search on Kalkwasser). Pickling lime costs about $1.50 per pound, versus 14 bucks for petstore "kalkwasser". Even online from Mrs Wages website, the shipping is about 4 bucks so at minimum you can get a pound for 7 bucks or so (buy 4 bags and you can get 4 pounds for about 10 bucks).

V

• 1 month later...

update:

I bought seachem's reef advantage calcium and reef builder and dosed those two for two weeks.

I got my my

CA up to 380

KH - 10

mg - 1250.

Over the last week I've stopped the seachem and been dosing 2ml-daily-of each of the bionic solutions -ca and alk-...

now my ca is 320 and the kh is 8.4...mg-1250

I think I need to increase my dosage of bionic....I just doubled the dosage....hope things look better

Don't overdose the B-ionic. If the Ca won't go any higher then your tank has probably reached it's saturation point. You will then have to lower the alk to get ca any higher. Keep mg up so you don't have trouble raising ca levels.

If you add too much B-ionic it can precipitate.

the Mg should be about 4x the calcium. that may be limiting the coralline. bump the mg a little and you should see results fairly quickly.

Archived