Top Shelf Aquatics

Need A Newb list for a nano.

Kingpin

can you list the things i need to start a saltwater. this is my 1st SW and i wanted to do a 10 gal w/ only 1-2 fish.

i know i need a tank, LS and LR, do i also need normal agranite sand? and how much of each? i got a tonic 50w heater, i got 2- 36w PC lamp retro kit(need to make a canopy) got powerheads(*160gph and higher*) and a wavebar.

*powerheads to strong?

i can also make a sump out of another 10gal if needed.

i got some fresh and salt water test kits but do not have the "salt monitor". i also need salt.

was thinking for the fish a yellow watchman goby and or 2 perc. clowns. and if i have 2 percs could i breed them?

can you guys make a list of things you need for a nano?

i have 17 pounds LR in my 10gal and 10 lbs LS......no argonite in mine. i use a powerfilter to polish the water or remove phosphate. you have or are knowledgeable about most of what you need to get started.....look around to see what other members on this site are using. you will have months to upgrade and add more specialized gadgets.

water top-off might be something you want to consider.....

You can find most of this info in the articles section of this site.

There is a great post on building a custom 10-gallon canopy in the DIY forums.

Salt is a heavily debated topic. Try doing a search and you will find many posts on salt.

I mixed my live sand with "dry" about 50/50.

Most Gobies are great for nanos! I have a Yellow Watchman and a Pistol Shrimp. These two are very good buddies and have formed a symbiotic relationship.

Lots more info here just do a search for whatever you are looking for. :)

Is LR really that expenive? how much for LS?

how bout a pair of false percs, will they breed?(leaning more towards them)

i look at others equip. and they use low gph PH is 160 to high?

about a powerfilter i got some pengiuns mini to use but why no biowheel? and i thought the media was supposed to be removed instead?(want to learn this)

LR is expensive but you can find deals if you shop around. I am still tempted by the sale at http://liverocks.com even though I really don't need any more... I just want it. : You can also get your LS there.

It's expensive because it has to be pulled out of the sea, flown over land, and kept in a vat.

Biowheels are bad because they only support the nitrification phase of the nitrogen cycle. They're designed for freshwater and that's all you can really do in a typical freshwater setup. So they produce nitrates and do nothing to get rid of them. You want your LR to do all your biological filtration because it supports denitrification as well. Meaning ammonia gets ultimately turned into nitrogen gas and leaves your system entirely. Otherwise you'd have to do tons of water changes to support delicate marine life.

Circluation Q's?

whats a good flow rate for a PH in a 10g?

and how many PH?

do you think it needs a wavebar? (got one for a cichlid tank but not set up yet)

i am going with the ROSS Custom hood w/ my 2-36w PC's

do you stack LR like another rock or do you not want it to touch back wall for like water flow reason?( pic of side of tank welcomed)

i thinking not to even put in a filter.

westkyracer

I have a rio 50 in mine. Yes 160 gph will make a sand sculpture that changes about every 3 min. The 50 gph has to be pointed at a wall or rock to difuss the current in a 10g

Archived