Pod Your Reef

Algae bloon on front of tank?

myelin

I've been dealing with this for a few weeks now.

Here are my tank specs:

Eclipse 12 gallon

SG: 1.022

pH: 8.2

Alk: 5

Nitrites: 0

Nitrates: 15

Ammonia: 0.1

Ca: 350

2 perc clowns

1 watchman goby

2 emerald crabs

17 blue leg hermits

2 astera snails

frogspawn, torch coral, GSP, bubble coral, shrooms

These stats were last week, and I have since done a water change (3 gallons)

Right now I am having to brush the acrylic every 2 days because of a red/brown algae building up ont he sides of the tank.

Am I having a problem with the bioload in my tank? Could I be over feeding? My CC substrate is also turning somewhat of a green color. Not all of the pieces of CC are green. Only some of them have turned green.

Thanks

westkyracer

Are you using Reverse Osmosis filtered water? I had a 10g that I used filtered tap water in and a 5 I used Ro water in and the Ro tank has lots of coraline growing in it. The 10g I got tired of watching everything get taken over by red and brown that I emptied the tank and started over.

how bad is the green bloom? I have some between the sand and the glass but very little growing on the glass itself. might be the 5 monster turbos and the various little guys that are taking care of that.

is that face of the tank facing any outside windows?

I get a pretty neat algae bloom on my front face, if only from sunlight shining in through an adjacent window

I do use RO/DI water, so I am guessing phosphates might be the culprit. How can I lower the amount of phosphates in my tank? I know about a phosphate sponge, but is there anything else? Maybe overfeeding?

Archived