inTank Media Baskets

growning on live rock

RJ

My tank is a couple of months old now, doing well.. I have a couple of feather dusters on the live rock and now I have what looks like LOTS of white tiny-minature cotton balls, with feather duster heads showing.. i think they are some type of a tube worm? not sure?  they are always out, and do not shrink in suddenly like the feather dusters do.. what are these and are they good???

20 gal..

1 clown

1 blue damsel

1 mini panther puffer

and and aneonome (sp?)

quiksilver5768

First off,

Thats not too many fish for a 20 gal...its fine. In my experience, up to 5 small fish can do well in a 20 gal reef. Im not very familiar with the type of puffer you have though.

And you dont even know what kind of anemone it is Djm9288. You cant say the tank is too small without even knowing what kind it is. A 20 gal also, isnt too small to keep the common anemones such as BTAs and Sebae's. For all you know, he could even mean a rock anemone. And several rock anemones would live well together in a 20 gal tank along with any other coral living in there...

You should find out more about the tank and whats in it along with the type of  filteration before you say that there are too many fish, or that the tank is too small for an anemone(without knowing what kind it is)..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry if I avoided your question, but I have no clue what those things could be without a pic. If you could post a picture of the tube worm like things than it would be much easier to ID.

Quote: from quiksilver5768 on 12:52 am on June 30, 2002[br]First off,

Thats not too many fish for a 20 gal...its fine. In my experience, up to 5 small fish can do well in a 20 gal reef. Im not very familiar with the type of puffer you have though.

And you dont even know what kind of anemone it is Djm9288. You cant say the tank is too small without even knowing what kind it is. A 20 gal also, isnt too small to keep the common anemones such as BTAs and Sebae's. For all you know, he could even mean a rock anemone. And several rock anemones would live well together in a 20 gal tank along with any other coral living in there...

You should find out more about the tank and whats in it along with the type of  filteration before you say that there are too many fish, or that the tank is too small for an anemone(without knowing what kind it is)..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry if I avoided your question, but I have no clue what those things could be without a pic. If you could post a picture of the tube worm like things than it would be much easier to ID.

Totally agree!

Calcifid Tube worms. They are quite common and will grow in your glass too. remove them with a razorblade if you dont want t them... OR the Puffer will possibly find them a tasty treat... My Trigger did....

as far as your fish complement.... its fine Ive had more than that in a 10 with no problems.... just take your time stocking it and dont over feed.

Thanks, I will search out the Calcifid Tube worms for additional information.  The fish I have are small, the puffer is a tiny panther puffer, much smaller than a blue damsel.  I will also get a type on the anemone, so next time I will have more info.  I appreciate the support on the tank size.  I am new to this and wanted to learn as I went, I will be upgrading to a larger size when I feel I can be successfull with this size.  If I can manage a 20gal, then a larger tank should be a breeze, and I will at least know what I am doing.  If you make a mistake in a 20 gal, it is far less forgiving.  

Thanks again for your help!

Archived