Top Shelf Aquatics

24 Gallon Reef Competition! Poll now open. VOTE!

Ocho Cinco

24 Gallon Reef Poll  

44 members have voted

1. 1. 0-1 Year old-STOCK

• Nick's Reef
    • Davidr2340
    • L34NN3
    • hoganrj
  2. 2. 0-1 Year old-OPEN

• Smufrman1040
    • TheCuban1040
    • Hudson2212
    • Dogfoodenforcer
    • Danyoquack
  3. 3. 1+ Years Old

• Ocho Cinco
    • Jnic335
    • Bodiam
    • Feixjai

I haven't forgotten about this contest, I just got my order in for ricordea and gorgonia so I'm waiting for the tank to settle down a bit. If you can wait until saturday to start the voting, I should have pics up. If not, I'll just get to snapping but the tank will be kind of cloudy.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm out of town for Spring Break, but I'll be back on Sat. and should have pics posted by Sunday. I'm wanting to do a bit of "housekeeping" before i submit my post and after having been away for almost a week! I'm hoping to do a water change with fresh ocean water straight from the Atlantic! Not that that is going to push me over the top! :D

feixjai's 24 gallon nanocube

- This tank has been set up for a little more than 2 years already. Started it when I was in 8th grade and I'm a sophomore in highschool now

FTS

P1030001-1.jpg

yellow watchman, true percula, skunk cleaner, red/green candy cane, neon green GSP, cluster dusters, hairy shrooms, and a bubble I'm trying to save

P1020997.jpg

orange ric, orange zoos, eagle eyes, red shrooms, supposedly green frogspawn, devils hand, pulsing xenia, green tip hammer

P1020999.jpg

true percula hosting neon green GSP

P1030006.jpg

About the tank

Equipment

- sponges

- Filter Floss

- DIY Surface Skimmer

- Chemi-pure

- Prizm skimmer

- MJ 1200

- Aquaclear 220

- Coralife 96watt Quadlight

- Led Moonlights

Live Stock

- 30lbs LR

- 20lbs LS

- 1x True Percula

- 1x Yellow Watchman Goby

- 1x Atlantic Pygmy Angel

- 1x Skunk cleaner

- Hairy, Red, Green Shrooms

- Orange, eagle eye, brown Zoos

- Green Frogspawn

- Green Tip Hammer

- Beige Devils Hand

- Pink Pulsing Xenia

- Pearl Bubble

- Neon Green GSP

- Red with Green Candy Cane

- Orange Ricordea

- Green Tip Torch

- Feather Duster Cluster

- Various plants

Thanks for looking :happy:

All of these tanks posted are gorgeous compared to mine :bowdown:

Good Luck to everyone!

I think I'm gonna have to give a time limit for this thing. We really don't have much people, which stinks, so I think I'm going to give it to next Monday and then I'll start the competition. I really thought we would have more, this is kinda disapointing...

If you split up the categories like I said you would have more participation...

I am going to split them up. Are you thinking go by lighting/filtration and then age? I don't think that will get more people. If they wanted to sign up they would have by now. With only like 10 tanks splitting up will make voting wierd tho.

There is a stock category which usually means powercompact lighting or equal and there is a open category which means halide, led, T5 etc etc

Do what you want.....

DogfoodEnforcer

Dogfood's Tank. 7 months old

FTS:

aprilreef065.jpg

Left side of tank (christmas favia, hot pink and lime green monti cap, blue(ish) palys, rics, mushrooms, orange digitata, pipe organ coral, GSP, oxide red and sunshine zoas)

aprilreef094.jpg

Right side of tank (pompom xenia, pulsing xenia, green rhodactis, branching frogspawn and hammer, lots of zoas and palys, blue mushroom)

aprilreef096.jpg

"Mohawk" the red tuxedo urchin.

march22046.jpg

Tank: 24 Gallon Aquapod

Lighting: 150W Metal Halide (Ushio 20,000+K), 6 White LEDs, 6 Blue LEDs

Filtration: Sapphire Aquatics HOB Fuge + Skimmer, live sand, live rock + live rock rubble, chaeto, purple macro.

Flow: 2 Maxi Jet 900s. one modded into the right side of the overflow

Livestock: 1 Occellaris clownfish, 1 Royal Gramma, 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Twinspot Blenny, 1 Red Tuxedo Urchin, various Blue Leg and Scarlet Reef hermits, Skunk Cleaner shrimp, Pom Pom crab, Stomatellas, Nassarius snails, Cerith snails, Trochus Snails

-4 ricordea

-branching frogspawn

-branching hammer

-hot pink monti cap

-lime green monti cap

-orange digitata

-purple digitata

-alien eye chalice

-christmas favia

-pom pom xenia

-pulsing xenia

-pipe organ coral

-neon green star polyps

-red mushroom

-green striped mushrooms

-blue/purple mushrooms

Zoanthids/Palys

-True Rainbow palys

-Sunshine zoas

-Tequila zoas

-Oxide red zoas

-Glacier Blue Palys

-Emerald on Fire zoas

-Green Palys

-Purple and green palys

-"tie die" green and blue zoas (no name for them)

-orange and blue zoas (no clue on the name)

-yellow and orange zoas (no clue on the name)

-assorted purple zoas and neon yellow/green zoas

-blue acropora (not in pictures...just got it yesterday.lol)

24 Gallon

Age 2 years old

Coralife Super Skimmer

22k Metal Halide

Live Stock:

1 Pygmy Angel

1Clown

1 Sifter Star

1 Pepperment Shrimp

Cleanup crew

tank12.jpg

tank9.jpg

tank5.jpg

danyoquack's 2 month old 24 gal. aquapod

sunpod 150 watt 14k metal halide

maxijet 900

hydor koralia 1

egg crate mod

filter floss

carbon

purigen

h.o.t. magnum for water polishing

30 lbs. fiji premium live rock

25 lbs. sand

tropic marin salt

coral:

green star polyps

zoas

purple xenias

mushrooms

orange & green ricordeas

candy canes

fish & invertebrates:

pair of true perculas (onyx)

firefish goby

orange spotted goby

pistol shrimp

nassarius snails

astrea snails

cerith snails

blue legged hermit crabs

red legged hermit crabs

sand sifting star

2398197902_181455cb4f.jpg?v=0

you see the faces in the rock. just noticed that!

2396429323_aaaf7a6d5e.jpg?v=0

2397354793_431f6ef9ce.jpg?v=0

2397374823_265aeb0e42.jpg?v=0

pics taken with sony dsc-n2 .. not baD!

Post what light you actually use on the tank. You can post what ever specs you want. I do need age, lighting and filtration though.

I have no problem with you changing your fts up until monday.

Jnic335, I need an age on your tank!

2 years old

Sexy Shrimp

Yeah the light you have used to grow the corals. eg Its not fair having a MH for 2 years then taking your pics with t5 and comparing to tanks who permenantly have t5s

ftsbu1.jpg

supermanricordeaxn3.jpg

orangebambamti5.jpg

zoasdk1.jpg

Tank is 9 months old

AP24 with 150W Sunpod (Phoenix 14K bulb)

Running nothing but filter floss in the back.

Your tank reminds me of junkitu's. That's pretty much the best compliment I can give :D

Ok I started the voting. I will still accept some late entries. What I have going is 0-1 stock and 0-1 Open (Halides, T5's, etc). Since we didn't have enough for 1+ I just bunched them all together. Jnic335 and myself were both 1-2 Open. Bodiam was 1-2 Stock and feilxjai was 2-3+. I had no choice but to combine us into 1 year +. Any suggestions, let me know. Maybe after I will start a thread for the overall best tank. How long should I leave voting open for?

Also, can everyone erase their non tank pic posts? That way there's not too much for voters to scroll through to see all the tanks. I deleted all of my not importent ones.

DogfoodEnforcer

holy sh*t!

Cuban, those cant just be the moonlights in those pics! mine definitely dont light things up like that!lol. that is crazy! wish mine were that friggin strong.hahaha

TheCuban1040

Hey Dogfood, you have a Sunpod on your tank don't you? Those are just under the blue LED's. I bet your stuff glows like crazy all the time with that 20K bulb in there huh? I wish I had gotten one of those instead of the 14K, your tank looks sick under it.

DogfoodEnforcer

i really like it. but yours looks great too!

i think the reason mine doesnt glow like that is because a lot of my colonies are smaller. they do glow, but not that crazy!lol

i notice we have some of the same zoas as well. like your red ones. i have the same ones. sold them as "oxide reds". they look awesome under the lights.

TheCuban1040

Thanks Smurfman. We have the same number... sweet.

Hey Dogfood, how is that Tuxedo Urchin? That thing looks pretty awesome and I am looking for some more interesting creatures to spice up the tank. Is it really bad about knocking stuff over?

DogfoodEnforcer
Thanks Smurfman. We have the same number... sweet.

Hey Dogfood, how is that Tuxedo Urchin? That thing looks pretty awesome and I am looking for some more interesting creatures to spice up the tank. Is it really bad about knocking stuff over?

the tuxedo CAN be bad at knocking things over. other times it goes weeks without disturbing anything. it's very entertaining. carries the funniest things for camouflage. everyone who comes over loves it and wonders what the heck it is. another great critter i have in the tank is the pompom crab. it's really cool to watch

TheCuban1040

I HAD a Pom Pom before I moved the tank out here to AZ, I haven't seen him since. They are cool but mine was very ninja like and I only saw him every once in a while when I was up really late.

I'm going to do some research on the urchin tomorrow... and maybe invest in some extra superglue...

TheCuban1040

It's because we are part of the same reef Clan. And also, 10 and 40 are the two jersey numbers I have worn in my basketball/hockey career.

Archived