Coral Vue Hydros

Help getting xenia to grow on glass?

mane3215

I purchased a 9 for 99 kit from ipsf, and when I got the anthelia polyps I ordered it had a frag of xenia attached as well.

I want them to grow up the side of my tank so I placed them as close to the glass as I could get (actually touching). They must have been grown on a gravel bed however and have little pieces of coral on their base.

I noticed this morning that the anthelia polyp is attatched tot he glass. Now I dont want them to grow there, however the xenia hasnt attatched to the glass. What can I do to get the anthelia off and get the xenia on?

Also, a small frag of anthelia was flyingn around my tank the otehr day, I guess a hermit knocked it loose, can I just grab it and super glue it to a small piece of rock?

Thanks.

For teh xenia this is what I do: Pretty much just smash em up against the glass, use something (shell or rock) to hold them there and they will attach. To remove the anthelia, try using your fingernail and peeling the base off. It should be pretty easy.hth

Thanks, would the fact that there are rock chips on the bottom of the xenia matter??? I didnt want to try to pull them off and maybe hurt it.

don't glue the rock chips to the glass. Instead, place the xenia real close to the glass and keep it in place with another rock or some other "weight." The xenia will spread and attach to the glass or grow a new colony and that one will, hopefully hit the glass.

I lost a three headed colony to the current and, oddly enough, it landed in the back corner and attached to the glass. Now it's growing upward, just as I had hoped. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes it attaches to the front of your rock and grows all over the place, as is also happening in my tank.

Razorblade it off the glass. I still have some of the IPSF anthelia (3 years & running) I let it grow across the glass, and then literally cut it up like a tray of brownies or something: cut it into squares, then razor it off: easy to attach.

OK, check it out guys so you can see what I am talking about. The side shot is blurry, but you can see how I have my xenia smoothed against the glass. Its like the base cant get tot he glass cause its attached to coral gravel or something Then you can see how the anthelia is attatched.

Polyp.jpg

antehlia%20blurry.JPG

Gotcha now: actually a better pic with the xenia being blurred a bit (unintentional, I realize): so, they are bot on the same rock/shell? I would let the anthelia attach there, then try to get the xenia to attach elsewhere: Might not be attaching due to the proximity to the anthelia.

Well I dont want the anthelia attatched, just the xenia, should I attempt to cut it away fromt he anthelia and put it on its own rock? Then put it on the glass? Also a piece of anthelia fell off, can I superglue it to a rock? I tried to burry the base int he sand but its keeps getting knocked out.

Thanks for the help.

You are tlaking about two fast growing softies here, bud: one polup won't mean squat to you in about 2 weeks.

Are the two corals on seperate areas of the rock? If so, pull it out, chisel it in half and your problem is solved. Just don't put either coral on your rockwork.

Well its like both of them were grown on a gravel bed, and when they sent them they just picked them up. They both ahve gravel on the bottom of them, but they are joined together. I will pick them up and cut them apart then re-rubber band them on seperate rocks.

Hey Kennerd, how fragile are these things? I was having a hrad time putting a rubber bnad around them last time i was scare to do anything. Should I have to worry, or can I just slice them and try the best I can to attatch them?

Thanks.

xenia is pretty hardy to physical damage imo. I've propagated pieces I've cut off a main branch, pieces of the foot ripped off two adjacent rocks, etc. Just keep the wounded piece in reasonable flow to prevent bacteria infection and it should recover quickly ...

heck just about any small piece of xenia will eventually grow into a new stalk :) I use Zap gel to glue the chunk to something or press another small stone up against a stalk then cut it away from the main colony once it sticks ...

OxInYourBox

IME if you have corraline algae on your tank walls somewhere near the bottom Xenia will attach to it much quicker (mine did over night) than clean glass or acrylic at the bottom of the tank. Coincidentally I have Xenia at the top of the tank growing onto the clean glass. Go figure. :) Good luck.

Archived