SaltCritters.com

Aqua Clear 500 Refugium?

HogWinslow

I'm thinking buying a Aqua Clear 500 to use as a Refugium on my 10 gallon tank. Can I hear from anyone that's doing this? Will it fit on the 10 gallon? My HOB is my only means of circulation. If I do this will I have to slow the flow down? How are the results? Are you happy with the results? What lights are you using? I'm currently using my Skilter as a Refugium but I want to get more volume in the Refugium. Any comments?

HogWinslow

ELGORDOINAVW

i use the 500 only i use a powerhead to pump water into it since the flow is to much, as for lighting i use a bayco 13 watt pc light.

ucsd reefer

You're definitely going to want to slow down the flow. Some people of been tinkering with the impellers, I'm not sure if I would recommend that though. Perhaps you can go the powerhead route as well. I'm currently running the AQ300 w/ AQ150 impeller. HTH

ELGORDOINAVW

yeah i just sat the whole work light fixture right on top of the aq500 lid, it wont melt it and doesn't reduce the light too much. i didn't put any sand in the aq but i did put some small pieces of live rock and some macro algae. the power head pumps the water into the aq only i used a spray bar inside the aq for a gentle flow. pm me if you need any help if i knew how to post pics i would i can take them but can't post.

ucsd reefer

How much smaller is the AC 300 than the AC 500? I wanted the 500 just for more water volume but it sounds like it would be much easier to use a 300 w/a 150 impeller. Are you happy with your set up?

Hog

im planning on using the aq500 for a fuge and the powerhead idea is a good one... but after i think about it... its quite expensive... suppliers sell hang on fuges for less and they will have more volume...

something to think about...

greenseaturtle

I use an aq300 for a refugium on my 20 gallon. I don't use a powerhead or different impeller, rather I modifed the interior to redirect the flow from above, rather than below, thus making the impact on all the organisms within less. I did this by taking the basket and breaking it apart and just used one side wall. I then took this and mounted it flush with the bottom by cutting slits in it so it would "slide" in to the base (at the side of the aq which has the impeller). I still had the problem with "mesh" holes at the bottom with the flow. I adjusted this by covering up the holes with plumbers epoxy, thus forcing all the flow to go over the top of the plastic and as a result this decreased the amount of the stirring up the contents within.

I currently have the aq on full flow for water movement within my display tank. Inside my refugium I have some live sand, rock, caulerpa growing like crazy and tons of copepods. I run a minilight on top which runs on an opposite schedule from my display tank.

Archived