inTank Media Baskets

Amazing custom show tank at the LFS.....

swordfish

This doesn't really fall in the realm of nano-reefing exactly but I went to hat I consider one fo the best LFS marine places in Austin Texas today and again admired a stunning set of show tanks they have for marine fish. These were on some stair-stepped risers, each with a stunning tank on them measuring at least (get this) 7 to 8 feet long each and maybe 12" wide and 12" tall. No center supports or braces at all, just pure, easy to see through glass.

In the tanks were fish such as butterflies, angels and what not, all looking happy and un-stressed enough. That is quite a bit of glass to be able to see through at once. Someone told me once that the average butterfly fish (or similiar adult sized reef fish) needs a tank that is longer than it is wide since these fish can swim horizontally up to four miles a day in the wild. I know of no marine fish that would not be content in these stunning tanks. I am sure, at least, the glass was tempered.

JCS

Okay. It was upstairs at Aquadome on Fortview just off Ben White. I don't have a digital camera so I'll have to do the get-film, take-pictures, get-them-developed, etc. dance before anyone can see the tank, but I'll do it none the less. I hope they inspire some private reefer to try something similar.

robertjag, since you live nearby, please e mail me at swoXXXrdfish@grandecom.net. Take out the X''s before sending. I live in San Marcos but still hang around Austin frequently. Maybe I can give you something for a frag cutting or two. I'm also known to buy used tank equipment if you have any laying around.

thanks,

Jeff

I have been to the aquadome but it has been awhile since I was there last but it was a pretty cool place. I don't remember those custom tanks you are talking about though, wish I could have seen them.

Aquadome seems like a good place to buy fish, which is about all they sell.......fish of all kinds and all manner of associated equipment. They've been there forever, like at least 13 years. Their tanks (all of 'em) are clean and well stocked, in fact almost spotless. Upstairs they have a sort of tidal pool tank, several coral-only tanks and at least 6 of those real long ones, as well as other assorted sale tanks containing other fish for sale. Go see them upstairs, you can't miss 'em. Even if you don't need anything, it's worth the trip to check it out.

Archived