Top Shelf Aquatics

Top off water and B-ionic

djpaul81

Hi Folks,

I have a questions for everyone. I have a 40G all in one so no sump. I know alot of people add kalk to their top off water. Can I add B-ionic cal and alk to my top off water, is this safe? I have an JBJ ATO and I would like to add these elements so I dont have to always worry about dosing the main tank. IE SG/CAL/ALK would be taken care of via top off water.

Thoughts?

I would be worried that it woudn't be dosed correctly, you may be over dosing depeinding on evaporation. It would take some serious trial and error to figure out the formula correctly.

Not that I'm against it, i think it's worth a try, just test daily!

On the bottles of B-Ionic doesn't it say not to add the two together in the same area or container? Not at home so can't read it.

On the bottles of B-Ionic doesn't it say not to add the two together in the same area or container? Not at home so can't read it.

Yes, that's correct, the two parts have to be added separately.

good point !!

My bottle of C-ballance, same dang thing, says they must be added seperatly in salt water only.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I did test my top off water which had already a high dkh of 12 and cal of like 10. So when I just added cal to around 400 and dkh dropped down to like 10dkh. I will start testing daily and see how this goes. kalk is probably going to be the answer but I am scared of the PH swing since top off ususally happens when the lights are on dude to evap.

I think if you add them together the calcium falls out of suspension and ends up as a powder on the bottom.
yeah, don't cross the parts!

why?

it would be bad.

what do i mean by "bad"? imagine all your tank's calcium imploding at the speed of light. total calcium dosage reversal. :o

yeah, don't cross the parts!

why?

it would be bad.

what do i mean by "bad"? imagine all your tank's calcium imploding at the speed of light. total calcium dosage reversal. :o

I want that ! How exactly do I go about to achieve such awesome sounding calcium implosion?!

I want that ! How exactly do I go about to achieve such awesome sounding calcium implosion?!
first, you need an unlicensed kalkwasser accelerator. then just power that baby up.

oh, i'd strongly advise standing back a few feet from the tank...just in case.

and make sure your HMO covers this situation. (that's legal disclaimer :unsure: )

I am planning to get one of those acrylic blast walls, like you see the mythbusters using. I wonder what would happen if you added a few gallons of B-Ionic to a very large unlicensed kalkwasser accelerator?! I will report back if i survive.

Its been a few days since I've added cal to my top off water. Cal has been pretty steady between 400-400. But dkh has not been so steady. I will probably have to tweak the dkh portion of my top off water. But so far its working ok. After this I will try my luck at kalk. I'm pretty scared of the high PH.

What can be used to bring down PH incase it shoots up?

Archived