ReefCleaners.org

Hang on back fuge

ch0ch

Maybe this will solve my over flowing problem with my sump... i was wondering what are the most popular hang on back fuges people use for 7 gal nanos... mine is a custon made (16 1/8 x 8 5/16) I want alot of flow so maybe a aquaclear 500?...

any suggestions appreciated!

-ch0ch

ELGORDOINAVW

i tried the aq 500 in my 10 gall and the flow was just too much no matter if i turned it down, so what i did is remove the intake tube, unplug filter and make a pvc intake tube hooked up to a ph. that way the flow in the fuge isn't too much, to even lessen the flow i made a spraybar inside the aq500 and walla slow flow thru the fuge.

Some people have posted about grinding down the impeller blades on AquaClears to reduce the flow. I would worry that getting the blades even slightly uneven would result in a noisy impeller that wore out quickly but that concern may be totally unjustified for all I know.

I wonder if the same results could be achieved by drilling a few small holes in the U-tube right above where it meets the impeller. If I ever decide to hook up a HOB filter maybe I'll give it a try...

I have an ac300 on the back of my 7g bow with an ac150 impeller. Flow is great, nice and compact and quiet. Built a fuge box out of plexi, as well as the skimmer box. Everythign is working out quite nicely.

Check out this thread

ucsd reefer

Yah..that AQ300 makes a great HOB fuge. Thanks to Matt and yourself for posting pics and descriptions. I just recently finished my fuge box..going back to TAP to pick up the pieces for my surface skimmer.

-Mike

ELGORDOINAVW

you can change out the impellers on the aquaclear 300,200,150 but i've read you cannot do it on the 500. i've also read that if you cut down the impeller on the 500 it becomes extremely noisy but mine already is, so that's why i went with the powerhead option also the low flow thru the fuge was a plus. cheers-

can i use an old aquaclear 300 from my freshwater 75gal downstairs? its running right now but if i can use it ill go downstairs clean the heck outta it and put it on my nano... plz reply asap...

and thanx!

-ch0ch

ps... the sump thing just wasnt working :/

Archived