Innovative Marine Aquariums

Captive-bred fish for beginners

Nag

Plan to start up 10 gallon nano Jan-Feb and I'm investigating fish. I don't want anything that's wild-caught.

The beginner's fish listed in the info section is mostly clowns, some of the cardinals, damsels, and pseudochromis. I was hoping to have 2 or 3 fish (2 species, maybe a pair of one and a single of the other, or 1 of each.) Are there pseudochromis that are regularly captive-bred? Are they okay with any other beginner's fish? I actually think the blue and yellowtail damsels are very pretty, but I'm concerned about aggression towards anything else I put in.

I'm thinking I don't want to screw up because it must be nearly impossible to catch a fish in a reef to take it back.

I've seen lots of nanos have clowns, 1 or 2. Is there another species not too demanding, that does well with clownfish? Nothing against clownfish, but I wanted a bit of different color.

Sorry for the many questions; I am trying to research this but I was hoping someone might have some experience to share. Thanks.

(Edited by Nag at 6:11 pm on Dec. 6, 2001)

purple psudochromis' do very well in nano's but i dont know if they are captive bred or not. have to check into that. they also do well with clowns and are purple so it would be a nice color contrast.

Thanks. I will investigate captive-bred purple pseudochromis. Actually I will investigate anything that you folks care to suggest as good twosomes or threesomes of fish, pairs or singles. I'm having trouble finding compatibility information between species and I figure in a small tank like a 10 any friction would be magnified...

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Purple Pseudochromis are avalible in tank raised and captive bred configurations. There is the orchid dottyback (fridmani) which is the purple one that often cost ungodly amounts of money. There is also the Strawberry Dottyback which is a magenta color and a notorious bully. All in all they are very attractive and personable fish. I would not put any other fish in a nano if you get one.

Archived