SaltCritters.com

Live Rock curing techniques

dickwayne

I've read many things about curing live rock, about how to retain the most life and what not. But I was curious, why does so much of that lovely coralline disapear/ bleach in our tanks? I'm not planning on getting another tank for a year or so, but I am planning and live rock is something on my mind.

There is much lore as to getting more coralline, So I was wondering if anyone has tried these steps from the beggining. Mainly, adding trace elements such as calcium and magnesium from the beggining to nurish the existing coralline. Or, adding "snake oils" like Marc Weiss products.

Or, has anyone tried adding photoplankton to increase/support sponge growth and filter feeders.

Lastley, has anyone attempted to cycle live rock with higher intensity light levels, such as MH? Even for an hour or two a day, the increased lighting may sustain the coralline, my reasoning being that it was in the sun before. Or, would this lead to hair algae?

Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thanks, Rich

Hey Rich,

I cured a bunch (70lbs) of lava for my FOWLR. Although it doesn't have the coralline, there are feathers and other criiters starting to poke out....maybe coralline someday!

I just put it in a $10 tub from target in the garage with a PH and seeded the water with nitromax and some ammonium bicarb

MrConclusion

You shouldn't be losing a lot of the coralline, unless there's a problem with the rock, or with your system. We'll assume that you've got enough light and circulation, so...

Use of a good magnesum suppliment is a must, especially with the modern "fast dissolving" salt mixes which tend to be light on their native magnesium content. I would HIGHLY recommend Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium. It dissolves instantly when sprinkled into moving water, and it has way more actual magnesium than liquid suppliments, which are mostly water.

small package:

http://www.inlandreef.net/biomagnesium.html

large package:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=7370

This product is relatively hard to find, and looks expensive. However, it's very concentrated so the package lasts a while. Few retailers like to handle Tropic Marin, because although their products are excellent, they're relatively costly and actually not very profitable (high wholesale cost, too.)

I cycle LR in an old 30 gallon long tank, with sand, an Aquaclear 300 and an old Aquaclear 301 powerhead, with 96 watt PC 10K strip light. Fortunately, I've never experienced any ammonia or nitrogen spike, but then again I don't buy mail order LR. My best local (hah! It's 45 miles away!) LFS has Florida Gulf aquacultured rock for $5.99/lb., hand picked, and all pieces are at least 40-50% covered with coralline. That stuff is great, and if I were to go mail order I'd pay extra for coralline rock, and not trust the white chunks that we used to call "base rock" to spontaneously erupt with pink.

All of the rock I've ever bought could have gone straight into my tank, but I never add anything that hasn't been quarentined for a while.

I don't think that phytoplankton helps coralline algae, but it does help a lot of the little filter feeders that live in and on the rock. I have been feeding with "Marine Snow" for over a year (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...d=6&pCatId=4965) with great results. It's easier to get than the live stuff, and I'm not sure that the livestock knows the difference, no matter what the DT's people say. I'm wary of products that claim that it's impossible to succeed without them, because the evidence is to the contrary.

Then again, I don't keep clams, and clammers rave about DT's.

Sorry for the post hijacking but, Where exactly is the place you got your live rock from, MrConclusion? The reason I ask is I've been looking for a good supplier of live rock nearby for my future 29 g and I just happen to live in Maryland.

Thanks,

MikeB)

MrConclusion

The best LR I've found is at the Aquarium Center in Randallstown. They have Florida Aquacultured, which is usually very well covered in coralline, as well as Tonga Branch for $5.99 per pound hand picked. They also have slab-type base rock which is cheaper, but I don't know the details.

Their coral and fish selection is hit-or-miss, but they seem to always have nice LR.

You can get directions at www.aquariumcenter.com

You can also check out Roozen's in Fort Washingon. They keep their Fiji LR in greenhouse ponds, so unless you get it when it's freshly arrived, you get a lot of green hair algae. Roozen's has a decent amount of mostly soft and non-acropora hard corals, and they have an amazing amount of fish. The facility is rather trashy looking, but the livestock is healthy.

Thanks Man, I've already been to the Aquarium Center. In fact, I'm going there today to get some stuff for my Day Gecko. I'll take a look at their live rock while I'm there. You wouldn't happen to have the address of the other place so I could Mapquest it?

Thanks,

MikeB)

Archived