Cultivated Reef

Do I have too much current?

MrNoahCount

MrNoahCount

I'm starting to wonder if I have too much current in my 29g. I have 2 Hagen 301 powerheads in there and the water return from my sump which is fed by a Rio 2500. Everything is running full bore. The Hagen's are rated at 174gph and the Rio at 500 gph at the height it's pumping to. My two shrimp don't seem to mind the current but I just got a maroon clown and he looks like he's having problems swimming in it although it's hard to say. Is it possible he likes swimming in it? The fish database says any current is fine for a clown but I don't want to wear the guy out. When he get's up close to the output of the return pump it's as if it blows him across the tank a little ways. Think maybe I should cut back on the flow a bit?

Thanks,

Michael

I think as long as there is a place to go in your tank where the Maroon can avoid the current and rest...then you are fine. If the Maroon starts hanging out in those spots all the time...then you have your answer. My Chromis gets blown clear across the tank by my powersweep but never avoids swimming near the nozzle, so I guess it doesn't mind.

Not sure if you have any corals in there, but I have had to lower my current for my mushrooms and bubble coral. The clown loved it, but the mushrooms wouldn't open to their full potential and the bubble didn't seem too happy.

MrNoahCount

No I don't have any corals yet. I've been looking at the coral dynamics deal that is advertised here but I'm not sure what to get. I have 130 watts of Coralife PC lighting and the tank is 16 inches deep so I have to research what I can and can't keep. BTW, as a side note, the guy at the LFS sure did want to sell me an anenmone (spelling?) to go with this clown but I resisted and he seems fine without it.

Michael

Archived