Cultivated Reef

couple clam pics

cal3v

Like I said earlier today, nice clams dude. I hope to add maybe one or two small ones like those to my tank when I get the money, after that I think my tank will be pretty much stocked.

And thanks again for the corals. The big monti's already got all its polyps out and looking great. The millepora's a little stressed from the mount but it'll bounce back just like the formosa and orange digitata did I'm sure(EDIT- hehe spoke too soon, all of the corals have there polyps out).

Put up some whole tank pics, that things awesome looking.

Thanks Jim for stopping by, I'm glad you like the corals, anybody willing to pass by Tracy is extra cool in my book since everybody wants me to go drop off corals for them lol. Those people don't get freebies ;). I'll definitely put on some pics even though its no longer a nano *ducks for cover*. I got the clams from C_Kritter for an awesome price, cheaper than local with shipping already included and factored into the cost.

Here is a little pic, corals will get placed better soon and the sps will be less brown (just moved a few days ago into new tank).

what size is this tank? im sure it will end up being just as nice as your 20. did you get rid of that? or just transfer everything over?

Cal,

Clam time for me too. What or who is c_kritter? I am looking at East Coast Clams and Clams Direct at the moment.

I can't wait!

Thanks,

-Jeff

C_Kritter is a fellow reefer I know, I am not sure when he is getting more clams in but he's got really good prices compared to a lot of places. Otherwise I'd recommend Clams Direct and East Coast, they are both also great companies.

Hey calv, what are you using for your substrate? Is that southdown or oolite aragonite? I'm trying to decide the substrate I want to use for a small clam tank. I've got like 30lbs or so of small grain crushed coral just sitting in my garage. I only plan on having like 1inch-1.5inches deep of substrate. The tank prob will be 24"x24"x12" but I might go 30"x30"x12". Not sure yet, been planning it with Christian at wetdryfilter.com. Thanks.

J-Bass I am using oolitic sand, just a very fine 1/2"-3/4" amount. BTW, the 40g has pretty sweet dimensions, 36x15x16. Thanks for the compliment.

Hey calv, is that the carabsea or whatever the brand name is oolithic sand? Also, are you using the 175mh from you old tank over the new 40 and do you get a good enough light spread over the length of the tank? I'm either going to set up a 24x24x12" clam tank or 30x30x12", still waiting on a quote from wetdryfilter christian for a 30x30 tank. Wondering if I can get by with just 175mh pendant since the tank is only 12" tall.

Yes I am using the 175w from my old tank, it covers an area of about 24"x24" so I also added some vho and figure it should be sufficient lighting for all corals depending on where I place them in the tank. I took a look to see what kind of sand and it was nature's ocean grade 0 sand, I think whatever sand you choose will work fine as long as its oolitic or something not too coarse.

btw Ramon (C_Kritter) should have some new stock early to mid next week. Also, anybody that wants to team up on shipping in NorCal I'd be in for an order in a few weeks.

Awesome Cal, a new and bigger tank huh :) Just couldn't resist the clams, could you... ;) Very nice btw.

I just set up my new 30g 2 weeks ago :D. I still have my 10g nano... it'll be my nursery, while the 30g will be the grow-out tank.

I had a 5g nano which I transferred over to the 30g. Using a 4" DSB with Grade 0 sand plus 20lbs of cured Vanuatu and Fiji LR. Tank dimensions are 24" x 18" x 18". I'm currently building my DIY sump/fuge and overflow box.

You think Chris will let us post our new GIANT NANO tanks here? :P

Hey calv, how much was the shipping cost for those clams you got from c_kritter? I'm in SoCal but I want to get a basic estimation how much shipping costs would be cuz his prices for clams are awesome. That clam in the second pic was a steal for what you got it for. Also, is your tank drilled for sump? Or you going sumpless. I can't wait to get my clam tank setup. I bought the tank already but can't get it drilled til monday or so. Have you seen Peterlin's clam tank on reefcentral? Now that is one dope clam tank!

Got the sump set up a couple days ago, its ghetto but its schweet to have one finally :). The shipping was about $26 to Norcal, so it was a great deal. Yep peter's is awesome too. I'd love to get more clams but I have to hold off on now for I have no funds lol, they went into a bellus angel and bluethroat trigger :D.

I just saw a pic of a Bellus angel on themarinecenter.com

That must be one expensive fish. ??? Did you get a male or female? The site says they are planktivores and are completely reefsafe. Won't bother corals and clams. Lemme know how yours goes. The Watanabei angel looks cool too.

Yep both in the 40g, the trigger grow pretty slow so he should be ok and same with the angel. Unfortunately I saw today it looks like something was biting the angel :( so it has some wounds on the tail but hopefully it is going to do ok. I thought it might be the trigger but I saw the trigger swimming with the angel today and no aggression so I'll just have to hope for the best.

Archived