Top Shelf Aquatics

bucket of salt solidified

Jandree22

So I store my 200 bucket of salt mix down in the basement and I guess the last time I put the lid on I didn't shut it the whole way. Because our basement is really damp, it clumped all the salt together. There might be some loose salt left on the bottom half of the bucket, but the top half is ROCK hard... I have to scrape it off to get any. Should I discard this salt and get a new bucket?

it's fine, just chisel what you need. there's nothing acting upon the salt to breakdown/metabolize the various chemicals within the salt mixture. one lump or two? X)

it's not just one lump or two, it's the entire top layer! and because it's like rock hard, I have no idea how deep yet. could be a lil over 1", could be 6" or more. I'll have to take a chizel to it later on tonight:angel:

actually, i was quoting bugs bunny. :P

when that happens to me i use a screwdriver and knock off a chunk comparable to what i use. it crumbles decently easy. recently, my coralife had been sitting in the bucket for about two years so it was a gigantic block of concrete. X) i had to whale away at it! use a flat head screwdriver.

Jandree, check the PH on the water you mix up from the clumps. I remember reading on one of MDP's posts that salt that has been dampened can mix to dangerous PH levels. While people may not agree with him, he does have tons of experience, so it may be worth your time to do the test.

If you could, do you think you could tell you experience and test results here on this thread?

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...&threadid=15176

Archived