SaltCritters.com

Triton live rock

JohnnyMTB

Seen a couple pics of the rocks they have, looks really nice. Anyone ever been there in person? I'm thinking about driving down there saturday if I can select my own rock. Any Gulf Coast people familiar with them. E-mailed them and haven't heard back yet.

Thanks,

john

I have no experience with them, and for some reason I'm scared to buy aquacultured, but their rock looks AMAZING:o Can we say, covered with purple coraline?!:happy:

I think I'll stick with my tried and true pacific rock, tho;)

What scares you about aquacultured? From what I read the rock is placed in the Gulf, seems it would be the same as the rock already there. I like the idea of all things aquacultured, especially tank raised specimens, less mortality and not actively depleting the natural resource. Have you had bad experiences with them?

OK, just heard back from the guy at Tropic Marine. They have over 4,000 lbs of keys rock and over 1,000 lbs of keys sand. I'm heading to Tampa saturday and getting my nano stocked up. Will try to find a digital cam and get some pictures up when the dust has settled. SWEET!

Originally posted by JohnnyMTB

What scares you about aquacultured?  From what I read the rock is placed in the Gulf, seems it would be the same as the rock already there.  I like the idea of all things aquacultured, especially tank raised specimens,  less mortality and not actively depleting the natural resource.  Have you had bad experiences with them?

two things....

1) They're denser. I know I'm talkin cheap here, but you get more rock per pound(hence, per $$$) with Pacific, usually.

2) I'm scared that maybe aquacultured are missing some of the natural elements found in actual reefs, (ie... bacteria, certain pods, uh, i dunno...)

maybe I'm off base, but those are the two main things:

a lil voice inside of my head, however, is telling me to "SAVE THE REEFS, BUY AQUACULTURED!!!" hehe.... I'm usually responsible about this kinda stuff, but LR, eh, ehr, I dunno

I got Walt SMith aquacultured once and it leached phosphates like no other, FOR EVER. Got rid of the rock real quick. Probably not normal, but I dont do aquaculture anymore.

westkyracer

If you are going to be in tampa check out tampabaysaltwater.com their rock looks really good too. I am planning on getting some from there in a few months when I go on vacation.

I checked out TBS first, then read a thread about Triton Marine, thought their rock looked better. May stop by when I'm there though, check it out in person.

dreamweaver_gcotb

I went to Triton Marine's place. Their rock looks great! You can get either the Gulf rock which seems to have more life in general on it or the Keys rock which appears to have more Coralline. They just got in a new shipment of Keys rock. The guys there were REALLY helpful when I went. I was terribly nosey about their lighting and everything and they answered all my questions about their set-ups. As far as aquacultured, they put it in the ocean and let it set so it has all natural life that regular reefs in the area have.

They are pretty easy to find. They are on the other side of the river from the Sponge Docks.

Archived