Cultivated Reef

Black Mollys

GouramiGuy

I just read that black mollys can live in full marine conditions. Does anyone use them in their tanks and what marine species would they be compatable with?  

black mollies are commonly found in mangroves.. which are like salt or brackish water swamps... they are even common here in the states in florida and even georgia i think... many people use them to cycle their tanks and as food for larger fish... as far as keeping one in a nanoreef, i wouldnt do it simply for the fact i want my tank to be as natural as possible, and these fish are not found in the coral reefs..

• 2 weeks later...

Mollies can actually be kept in higher salinity than some marine fish.

From what i've heard, these are really easy to keep and breed so people breed these in saltwater to feed to their carnivous fish. This way, they won't be like goldfish and die a couple seconds after hitting saltwater.

Quote: from GouramiGuy on 3:19 pm on Jan. 20, 2002[br]I just read that black mollys can live in full marine conditions. Does anyone use them in their tanks and what marine species would they be compatable with?  
i have put mollys in my tank to bread and feed my snow flake eel, some mollys tend to last more then others, but in a marine tank i had some last up to 1 month, and usually the eel would eat them first.
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived