Cultivated Reef

I need some help....

Somethingsfishy

Somethingsfishy

Hi Everyone nice to meet you all..Im starting a 10g Nano-reef or something this is my first time with saltwater. My setup I have includes...a whisper power filter a 10g glass tank...a new 10,000 light bulb(soon as I get one) and the tank is cycled in freshwater. Do you think i should dump all the water out then start over but keep the filter media in the whisper to help is cycle? I also don't have much money on my hands :blush: So I was looking for some cheaper corals and shrimp and other stuff...Is there any recommendations on some corals that are cheap and grow fast and are peaceful..I also could use a coral compadability list because I don't want the corals going offf and killing each other..lol What invedabrates should i avoid? plus what shrimp should I avoid? Well I guess that's all the questions for now :D Thanks for answering my questions!

Freshwater nitrogen cycle bacteria are not compatible with saltwater and vice versa. Start over. Cycle your tank with some live rock first, then worry about the livestock.

and READ A LOT OF CRAP!:o Get a beginners book for saltwater aquariums... saltwater isn't difficult, but it's a completely different realm than freshwater

Also, if you've ever used any medication in your freshwater tank I would not use it for saltwater. New 10g is $8.00 at Petsmart. At the top of this web page you'll see a link for "Information." Use it. It'll save you a lot down the road. I've been researching for over a month now, am somewhat experienced in saltwater, and will just be starting my cycling this weekend.

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=1 - Click that... it's a good starting place for beginners. Make sure to click the link in that article and read the natural filtration method article as well.

Johnny made a very good point. ESPECIALLY if you used any copper based medications for freshwater ICH. Invertebrates can NOT tollerate any levels of copper, even very very low levels will cause them stress.

oh, and one more thing.... your first coral, when you're ready, should probably be a mushroom rock. very hardy and not too expensive, usually.

Somethingsfishy

Well I happen to have a 10g tank that is not even being used it was home to two wild species of betta but they died so I put the tank up never used medication in it so it should be safe.

Somethingsfishy

And as far as medications in the otehr tank with the freshwater in it..I used the following medications:

Maracyn 2

MarOxy

Methylene blue

Aquari-Sol

I Don't know if any of those medications have copper in them but just to be safe I will use the other 10g

Somethingsfishy

When i buy the live rock and sand what do I do about the mantis shrimp and all that other stuff?

and what will I do about little anenomes and bristleworms?

****edited by me I was playing a little joke : ;)

Somethingsfishy
:o:) I was kidding well anyways..:P Yup it was a joke now for real how do I get rid of mantis shrimp without getting clipped in the hand X)
Somethingsfishy

Ok I found the article about removing pests...So lets see when I set the aquarium up I should mix the salt properly then add the live sand and the live rock then wait till it's cycled correct?

ask your LFS if the rock has been cured(sprayed with high salinity water and then sitting in saltwater for so long that bad crabs and shrimp die of starvation).....then your chances of getting a mantis are much much lower. LR can survive for up to 24 hours out of water as long as it remains wet.......so take some time to inspect the rock. gently slide a straw or coffee stirrer into holes in the rock to see if you can feel anything move. if some ugly crab thing with a longa$$ tail wraps itself around your neck and impregnates you with an alien baby.....then don't put that piece in your tank. my LR came with one of the freakiest looking crabs i ever saw.....gave it to my LFS...blech

ps....correct....mix the saltwater to the correct sg and then add rock first then sand....if you put sand in first, it might shift and cause your lr to fall into/and crack the glass

thanks.......and some say that an aquarium can help relieve anxiety....did they mean owning one?.....or just looking at one?

Archived