Top Shelf Aquatics

Spectrum Analysis w/ Ocean Optics USB4000

ccjung

You mentioned a desire for "apples to apples" comparison of intensity. Do you plan to have OOI calibrate your spec+cable for absolute intensity measurements? Without proper calibration, you'll be stuck measuring relative intensity alone. That'd be fine for determining relative intensity of the various wavelengths of a lamp, but you won't be able to compare those intensities to another lamp.

Also something to note: Don't trust the raw spec output of your USB4000 in SpectraSuite. If you want to show wavelength intensity, you should always use the "intensity" option. Raw spec output is good for eyeballing the general pattern of output, but the peaks can be shifted a few nm one way or the other.

Also, please post the configuration of that USB4000 and the length, type (low-OH, high OH, diameter) of fiber optic; slit size, blazing, etc...

If you have any questions about spectroscopy (especially with OOI equipment) feel free to PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

I have a nanocube 6, and looking at the 18w bulbs. How does your nanocustoms brand compare to the competition like JBJ, Realux, and Oceanic brand CF bulbs?

I don't mind paying a little extra to get better bulbs, even though I would like to say a few bucks buying the nanocustom brand if they are equivalent. And do Actinic 03 Oceanic bulbs (from Drs F&S) really do more than the blue bulbs you or JBJ is selling???

Thanks.

I would really like to get to the bottom of this and place my order.

Archived