Pod Your Reef

We've got a jumper

gullmo

Much to my dismay, yesterday when I got home from work, Pennywise my female ocellaris had decided to jump out of the back of my tank. She had a tedency to host the surface of the water where my HOB filter poured in. I still have the male which I got at the same time as a juvenile about a year ago. I was going to go and buy another juvenile last night and was wondering if the new addition would likely pair up or at least get along with the fish I do have. I know there is no definitive answer but I figured ocellaris are fairly timid. My tank is a 20H with only that one fish left. Any thoughts?

My best suggestion would be a lid. Also, you had better luck losing the female, as I think you have better chances to pair up again.

NaNO ReeFiN

I have a pair of ocellaris and the male jumped out the back of the tank about a month ago. I bought another clown for the female a couple days later and both are getting along wonderfully. (Even better then the old pair..)

horsehunter

I wonder what effect eggcrate would have on your lighting it would probably keep your fish in the tank.

Iwasn't aware that clowns were jumpers they were going to be my first or second fish purchace. My snails and hermits don't jump.

I use eggcrate on top of my tank...Works good and has stopped my scooter blenny fish from jumping out 2 times (that I know of....crazy fish). I like it better than glass since it doesn't get hot, and ya never have to clean it, and it can be cut to fit to go around hobs or whatever.

I do have a glass top to the tank that is why I am so suprised that she got out. I have thought about eggcrate but the flip up glass lid makes tank accessibility a piece of cake. Today I am heading to the LFS to get anotehr juvenile. I am hoping for the best.

Archived