Top Shelf Aquatics

News about drugs in tap water.

skydive

Might be old news to some but here it is.

3/9/08 Click Here.

"A vast array of pharmaceuticals — including antibiotics, anti-convulsants, mood stabilizers and sex hormones — have been found in the drinking water supplies of at least 41 million Americans, an Associated Press investigation shows."

"One technology, reverse osmosis, removes virtually all pharmaceutical contaminants..." :happydance:

There's another reason to buy one for your fishes and YOU! I don't know but I wouldn't think tap water conditioners were made for this.

BKtomodachi

Just drink the water, this isn't unexpected or new. You have to understand this is one molecule of these things for trillions of water molecules.

They also say most paper money has trace amounts of cocaine on it. But yet i don't get a freeze when I tongue G Washington.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA Good stuff scar.

They also say most paper money has trace amounts of cocaine on it. But yet i don't get a freeze when I tongue G Washington.

BWAHAHAHAHHAHA Good stuff scar.

el_vulture619

I know some guys that sell dope and keep money next to their nuts! :haha: I see alot of fat old ladies keeping mony in their bras, on top of big sweaty b00bs :naughtydance:

so lick it some more!!

Yeah I posted this the day it came outbest reason for RO

All kidding aside, the FDA "THINKS" that if something doesn't kill you right away and instead accumulates in your body in minute amounts over many years, it's ok to add it to your food and water supply. Namely, there are dozens of poisons that go into many products we use. One example is "aspartame", a main ingredient in "diet" food and drinks and artificial sugars. It usually breaks down into farmaldehyde (embalming fluid) and methanol or wood alcohol. Both substances are not easily broken down and excreted in our bodies and accumulate over time causing various chronic sicknesses like cancer. about aspartame

If you want to hear more about this particular case, watch "sweet misery", a documentary that explores how a poison can be approved by the FDA and you will hear a familiar name (Donald Rumsfeld).

Anyhoo, enough ranting

I work for a municipal utility and we got info on this matter. Basically it's a lot smaller deal than the media is making it out to be. They will grab ANY catchy word to put fear in the general public. The fact of the matter is that this stuff has been present in water ever since the chemicals/medicines have been around, it's nothing even remotely new, only recent advancement in technology has been able to detect it in our water. The amounts that have been measured are in the PPT (parts per trillion for those that DON'T test their salinity ;) ) realm, and one would need to basically consume 80 MILLION gallons of water to even equal one pill amount of the stuff they are finding.

All kidding aside, the FDA "THINKS" that if something doesn't kill you right away and instead accumulates in your body in minute amounts over many years, it's ok to add it to your food and water supply.

I'm sure it's more detailed than that, but with all the money in some of those artificial sweeteners, who knows what corruption is out there. This is the EPA's stance on cancer risk assessment:

The amount of a chemical a person could consume daily for 70 years that would result in no more than 1-in-a-million (10-6) increased chance of developing cancer as a direct result of

consumption of (exposure to) that chemical.

I have to think the FDA uses something similar but like I said, money = corruption

Sexy Shrimp

Experts/scientists believe that the metabolism of aspartame does not damage the body because: a) the quantity of methanol produced is too small to disrupt normal physiological processes; bb) methanol and formaldehyde are natural by-products of human metabolism and are safely processed by various enzymes; and c) there is more methanol in some natural fruit juices and alcoholic beverages than is derived from aspartame ingestion

As someone who has worked with formaldehyde over the past 10 years I can say that I have confidence in parts a and b. Methanol, formaldehyde and formic acid are not toxic in the low levels that aspartame is found in foods. The half life is such that it would break down fairly rapidly in the body anyway. I don't agree with part c as ethanol is the natural antidote to methanol anyway.

Aspartame is on the downslide anyway. Companies are "cleaning up their labels". My OH works for a large food ingredient company and there is more call for sucralose now adays anyway. It's more stable at neutral pH and less controversial.

EDIT

had to put bb) as a single b followed by a bracket is the code for a smiley - how irritating

Archived