Pod Your Reef

30x18x15 Custom Reef Build

zhubbell

That brain is nice and the tank is looking nice as well.

I feed my open brain frozen de-shelled krill and my favia frozen mysis, and it seems to work for them.

Are you sure you're setting this up as a prop tank?

I ask because it looks more like a display tank.

But maybe that's why you want to change the title/subtitle.

To do that, go to the first post and click on edit, then full edit or whatever the other option is besides "quick edit". That will allow you to change the title and subtitle.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That brain is nice and the tank is looking nice as well.

I feed my open brain frozen de-shelled krill and my favia frozen mysis, and it seems to work for them.

Are you sure you're setting this up as a prop tank?

I ask because it looks more like a display tank.

But maybe that's why you want to change the title/subtitle.

To do that, go to the first post and click on edit, then full edit or whatever the other option is besides "quick edit". That will allow you to change the title and subtitle.

Thank you, and yes, its not ganna be a prop tank.

I have a habit of using the term prop tank for anything that is long, deep, and relatively shallow.

Today I transfered over my third trach that was at my girlfreinds tank, but was getting pummeled by the rock playing of her Dragon Wrasse.

With the mushrooms, he does an awesome job of knocking them off the rocks they come on, and spreading them about - all the mushrooms are now spread out and attached randomly to various rocks, it looks totally natural and awesome, but the trach couldn't handle it quite so well.

1209228046.jpg

Here they are, all lined up, the far right one is the new addition, give it a couple hours, he'll be all puffed out.

Here is the Zoa/Mushroom side of the tank right now, all the colonies are looking pretty awesome, and one of the dominoes decided to get into this pic!

1209228437.jpg

I also moved the zoa frag disc shown in the top of this picture:

1209228544.jpg

as well, because the wrasse was having wayyyy to much fun tossing this one around, and it was flipped upside down nearly every day - 10 minutes after transfer, and they're all out!

I think I've settled on forgetting the MH for the fuge, but still keeping it ridiculously lit, with a 20", 80W Corallife PC fixture.

What spectrum of light will do me best for my mangroves and chaeto?

The fixture is out - it didn't fit well in the stand....

I ordered a 2xT5HO retrofit from hellolighting.com - one of the sponsors, and I ordered it with 2 6.5k bulbs.....

As far as I know - that spectrum is ideal, I hope thats true....if not, let me know please....

I also beilive I have organized a trade for a Tunze 9002 skimmer, and a JBJ skimmer - which will require me to build the awesome sump/fuge, which I designed tonight.

It will be 20x14x14.

16 total gallons.

6 gallons in the fuge, 3 gallons in the ATO resevoir, and then another 9 gallons in the main sump, which houses the skimmer, the mag 5 return (on its way, to replace the mag 3, and possibly having added split returns)

the sump will also house a bubble trap that will include carbon filtration....

I'll post a picture of the design when I get it....

Here is a current but slightly rough stocking list so far:

~35 hermits - zebra, red legged, blue legged.

~25 snails - turbo margarita, astrea, nassarius

3 peppermint shrimp

1 blue/orange royal tuxedo urchin

2 domino damsels

1 condylactus anemone

T. Deresa

many, many colonies of corals including:

zoa's

shrooms

sps - acropora, millepora, montipora capernacus (3 different types)

LPS - huge favia, 3 trach's, sun coral

gorgonian

pulsating xenia

GSP

probably some more...let me check

To be transfered in the next couple days as I take down my 65G:

mated pair of bangaii cardinals

mated pair of true percs

huge serpent star

pencil urchin

tiger cowrie

tons of hermits/snails

Things I plan on adding:

More SPS

More Zoas

Ricordea Florida

1-2 Gobies - possible 1 paired with a pistol shrimp

2 cleaner shrimp

fairy wrasse

chromiis damsels

more CUC

any amendments/additions???

Thanks for any advice

Alright 65G tank taken down heres what was added from that:

2 Bangaii Cardinalfish (mated pair)

2 True Percula Clownfish (mated pair)

2 Cromiis Damselfish

Pencil Urchin

Peppermint Shrimp

Lg. Serpent Star

Tiger Cowrie

Lots of CUC

and added to it today from a LFS tahts closing its saltwater department and is selling everything at 50% off:

Zoa Colony

Purple firefish

Sea Hare

Now I have a 30G on my desk circulating with all the LS and LR left over from the 65G take down, as well as a Lemonpeel Angel.

I am becoming increasingly anxious about the thought of buying a lid for the tank, and throwing a juvenile Zebra Moray from a store near me....

That or/and a Dwarf Zebra Lionfish I saw a couple days ago up at Fish Dr. in Ypsilanti, Mi.....

god, so tempting!!!!

1210306048.jpg

Whole tank shot after the additions

1210306293.jpg

Shot of the softies, primarily zoa's side (left side)

How's it look?

I got my retro fit T5HO's today, they're wired, but I'm not installing them until when I install the permanint sump/fuge, which should be done by early next week.

Also hopefully in the next couple days my Tunze 9002 skimmer and JBJ ATO will be shipped to me from a client/NReefer who I'm building a tank for and as partial payment, hes sending me them.

1210351238.jpg

Top Down Shot - Favia, T. Deresa, Trych's

1210351296.jpg

Orange Monti Cap and some other SPS

1210351345.jpg

Purple firefish chillin near the favia and trychs

1210351463.jpg

Urchin atop a hill of zoas

1210351546.jpg

Bangaii hiding away (thats the female)

1210351703.jpg

And the male

1210351627.jpg

Domino Damsel, a mushroom, a millepora, sebae anemone

Alright, so I'm off to an awesome start - all the corals look amazing, all the fish have entered the enviornment nicely and without bullying.

my equiptment is running nicely and performing its job, there are a few parts whos arrivals I"m waiting on, namely:

Acrylic to build custom sump/fuge

2x 24" T5HO 6.5k retros for the fuge have arrived, but are waiting to be installed simultaneously with the new sump/fuge.

JBJ ATO

Tunze 9002 Skimmer

Mag 5 - to replace the Mag 3

Then I will be switching the forum form "build" mod to more tank upkeep based...

Almost out of the woods

3 Emerald Green Crabs added for the ridiculous algae I'm getting under this 250MH - not bad, it looks gorgeous, its such lush macro - its almost like, teal in color, and incredibly nice, but I cant have it overtaking my corals!

I'm considering - at least for now - the bioload full at this point unless I see a really gorgeous fairy wrasse

CUC still able to be improved on (even at its ridiculous amount at the moment)

more decromental inverts - ideas?

also - I want a sandsifting goby (possibly with a pistol shrimp) but my entire substrate at the time is comprised of crushed coral (which Ive never done before) would that be ok for a sandsifting goby?

Thanks for the suggestions...

I got three new corals at my LFS yesterday

all 3 Monti's

not sure exact species name - if you know, let me know:

Yellow monti:

1210733819.jpg

Purple encrusting Monti of some sort with somewhat Navy polyps (the one next to it is a Cap, Neon green with bright blue polyps - UNREAL cool):

1210733619.jpg

And more of the Orange cap I have:

1210733907.jpg

Here, just for fun, is the the first witnessed meeting of the Urchins

1210733612.jpg

Check out the insane growth on this staghorn!!

I got it I think 2 weeks ago?

neither of the 2 "arm" like growths towards the top were at all visible, now look:

1210733674.jpg

Custom sump fuge build!

1210865572.jpg

1210865763.jpg

1210866480.jpg

1210868721.jpg

There it is all ready to be put in!

Hopefully I will install tonight

I'm still waiting on JBJ ATO, and Tunze 9002.

Those are 2 retrofit T5HO 6.5k's right next to the sump/fuge, which will be going over the fuge

wow really love the sump design. It must be great to be that handy :o (jealous)

Retros are installed as is the new sump/fuge, and the mag 5.

thanks- by they way I have the exact same sump/fuge but smaller for sale in the hardware classifieds that I had built for someone who opted to go with HOB filtration for cost reasons...

its a steal at $125

wow really love the sump design. It must be great to be that handy :o (jealous)

Retros are installed as is the new sump/fuge, and the mag 5.

thanks- by they way I have the exact same sump/fuge but smaller for sale in the hardware classifieds that I had built for someone who opted to go with HOB filtration for cost reasons...

its a steal at $125

1210992306.jpg

Here it is.

The only problem is that the mag5 is pumping allllmost to fast for the 1 1/8" drain...

I've been really really regreting not doing a 1 3/4", I'm not even sure why i did that??

oh well....I must have been thinking something....

Anyway - in all other ways its running top notch, i may switch back to the mag3, I'm not sure yet.

It ran all night with no heat issues from the larger pump or the installation of lights without having a fan at all...

The whole back of the stand is open.

By the way - keep your eye out for my soon to be newest thread:

24x18x18 Dwarf Lionfish and Dwarf Moray Eel Reef - thats right, its ganna be amazing.

No feedback on the sump??

I was stoked about it....

oh well - well I added a Leopard Wrasse today, Hes an awesome little guy

1211419474.jpg

weird lighting...had just turned on the halide

1211419535.jpg

A couple new photos before I leave for Aruba (T Minus 9 Hours till departure)

1211582232.jpg

1211582410.jpg

Pretty purple, huh?

by the way, anyone with a leopard wrasse out there?

I'm interested for any advice or info from ppl who have/have had them

Maybe its just me, but I feel like I'm the only one posting on here.....

I'm totally open to constructive criticism, or even just plain criticism, and if you look at this and have nothing to say but something like "Hey, sweet tank" - let me know....

I feel like I'm posting to myself here....

• 2 weeks later...

Hey anyway following this forum!

I just got back from Aruba, diving, and snorkeling alllll week long - it was amazing, and although I had my sister taking care of feedings for me (and top offs since I haven't bought my ATO yet), she has absolutely no marine or even fish experience, and so I wasn't expecting much...

Much to my suprise, as well as definetly a good testimate to my refugium/sump design!

With absolutely no acrylic cleaning, scraping what so ever, as well as a week of non-expert feedings, so most assuredly lots of wasted food, here is my tank:

1212430232.jpg

Looks good and everything is healthy!

there were low levels of ammonia and nitrates, but barely.

I would call this officially a stable enviornment!

not to mention, all my zoa colonies have nearly DOUBLED in size since 2 months ago, and the other corals are growing nicely as well!

The only other change is that, until I order my skimmer, I've converted the skimmer housing part of the sump into a makeshift prop area.

I will soon have tons of zoas for sale/trade, so let me know if you're interested!

I also have a ton of maidens hair algae I can get rid of - if you want some let me know - I"ll ship a handful for like, $10 bucks (to cover packaging, and shipping)

Archived