ReefCleaners.org

Mighty Mite RO/DI, Are they any good?

Weetabix7

I was going to use one to store my rodi water from the Mighty Mite for top off.

I was going to add my buffer in there as well.

Is it bad for the water just to sit in there with no movement?

Can I just lay the lid on top of the hole so most of it is covered?

Also do you think I should keep a power head in there to keep the water moving, or at least keep the buffer from settling?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AZDesertRat

What or why are you buffering? RO/DI is basically neutral so needs no buffers for top off. It will immediately take on the traits of whatever it is added to with little to no effects on the tank. If its for new saltwater the salt contains all the buffers you need.

I store RO/DI in clear plastic 5G drinking water jugs for months on end with no ill effects. Just keep it capped and out of direct sunlight or temperature extremes and it lasts almost indefinitely. I don't aerate until I plan to use it since aerating adds contaminants.

What or why are you buffering? RO/DI is basically neutral so needs no buffers for top off. It will immediately take on the traits of whatever it is added to with little to no effects on the tank. If its for new saltwater the salt contains all the buffers you need.

I store RO/DI in clear plastic 5G drinking water jugs for months on end with no ill effects. Just keep it capped and out of direct sunlight or temperature extremes and it lasts almost indefinitely. I don't aerate until I plan to use it since aerating adds contaminants.

I buffer the top off water, if I add top off water (ro/di), without buffer, my ph gets low...

Also what about the container you use for auto top off? That's what I was talking about. It sits under the stand, but you can't put the cap on since the pump and power cord needs to come out of the top. Does keeping the cap off allow to much dust and TDS to get into the water?

your ph problem is almost certainly caused by something other than your top-off water.

Hmm. Everyone I have talked to adds some buffer to their top off water..

Why would you not want to do that?

also do you suggest aerateing and heating your ro/di water for 24 hours before using? Some have suggested this.

AZDesertRat

You have problems other than your RO/DI water if you have pH problems. No one i know buffers RO/DI and I have never done it in 25+ years of reef keeping. You might want to check the CO2 levels in your home to see if that is having and effect on you tank, its a common problem with modern homes that are sealed up pretty tight. testing the pH of RO/DI is pointless, there are not enough ions to measure so the reading is never accurate or usable.

For top offs I don't do any adjustments for temp or pH and I store it in an open container with little TDS gain from the elements. For water changes in summer or shoulder months I don't worry so much about temperature as its usually withing a few degrees of the tank. In winter I do use a heater to get it close before changing water and a powerhead or pump to mix the salt upand do a little aeration. The pH usually matches up pretty close with my salt mix alone so while I may check pH I never have to adjust it.

You have problems other than your RO/DI water if you have pH problems. No one i know buffers RO/DI and I have never done it in 25+ years of reef keeping. You might want to check the CO2 levels in your home to see if that is having and effect on you tank, its a common problem with modern homes that are sealed up pretty tight.

For top offs I don't do any adjustments for temp or pH and I store it in an open container with little TDS gain from the elements. For water changes in summer or shoulder months I don't worry so much about temperature as its usually withing a few degrees of the tank. In winter I do use a heater to get it close before changing water and a powerhead or pump to mix the salt upand do a little aeration. The pH usually matches up pretty close with my salt mix alone so while I may check pH I never have to adjust it.

Interesting.. if you do a google search you will find many, many, many people are using some buffer to the top of water to help keep the ph stable. (and if they aren't using the buffer to the top off water then are dosing some sort of buffer to help them keep the ph higher...)

Deleted User 6
You have problems other than your RO/DI water if you have pH problems. No one i know buffers RO/DI...

this, and open a window for a while and then check you pH.

or do like me and never check your pH.

Interesting.. if you do a google search you will find many, many, many people are using some buffer to the top of water to help keep the ph stable. (and if they aren't using the buffer to the top off water then are dosing some sort of buffer to help them keep the ph higher...)

links pls.

Why not check your ph?

links pls.

Just do a google search....you'll find lots and lots..

Deleted User 6

because i'm lazy. and because my tank's been running over a year and i've never had a problem by not testing pH.

Just do a google search....you'll find lots and lots..

nah, too lazy.

coachfraley

thanks 4 posting this thread weetie! I had been looking at those, and I think I am going to get one after all this positive input. :D

I am getting really sick of going toting my water jugs all over town.

• 3 months later...

Archived