Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My wacky fire coral.

SteveC

This came as a hitchhiker on Gulf View rock. It started out as a little blob of nothing that I didn't even notice for at least a month. Now, after ten months of me not giving my nano nearly the attention it deserves, I have to admit that at least the fire coral has done well (for scale, the thing in the top left corner is the bottom of a Mini-Jet 404).

At least, I'm assuming it is a fire coral (Millepora sp.). It doesn't really sting all that badly when I touch it, though.

So, any suggestions on how to frag this guy? It's stinging the cup corals underneath it pretty badly. I do like it, though, and dark green fire corals are supposed to be pretty unusual.

EDIT: Turns out this is not a fire coral and I am an idiot. It's codium, a macro algae. Have a nice day.

wow, that's awesome looking. Is it dark green? looks like a seaweed more than a coral.

when you say it doesn't sting that bad, are you talking from personal experience?

as for fragging it, simply clip or dremel off the areas you want to trim back. bag one or two and ship to me.

Im sorry crakeur, but you are not correct.

It is NOT a coral. It is a form of algae from the family adin has posted. Or something damn close to it.

Yeah, I brush against it occasionally when I'm reaching into the tank. I try not to, since it does sting a little and I'm worried that maybe it's been holding back and this time it'll really sock it to me. So far it hasn't stung me that bad though. Not nearly as much as the books say (there is a reason they call it "fire coral": hydrocorals are more closely related to jellyfish than to typical corals), even when I brushed the inside of my wrist against it (not on purpose!). It's gotten so big it's hard to work around it without touching it, and I hate putting on rubber gloves if I'm just going to reach into the tank to grab something.

It's dark green and at first (when it was just a little stub sticking up out of the rock) I thought it was some kind of macro algae. When it started Y-branching I took a closer look and that's when I noticed the tiny little hairs (dactylozooids) extended for feeding (and stinging!). The light green stuff on the right is just some halimeda that grows next to it. Sorry for the blurry picture; this is one of my first attempts at tank photography.

Agreed, caj: I have a serious problem. Just pimpin' on NR.

I've yet to hear of macroalgae that stings bubble corals.

To my knowledge, fire coral can just be snapped by hand or with a clean pair of wire snips, much like an acro. I would make sure that you don't handle it with bare hands, since the nemocysts may be embedded in the coral tisse, rather than on hairs on the surface, so you may get a surprise.

Also, try to get a video or pics of it, since some milleporas are known to "fizz" from broken ends. Perfect addition to my mantis tank..........

No, the stuff next to it is halimeda. I'll try to get a clearer picture.

It has hairs that are extended sometimes and retracted others. It does sting a little. Maybe it's algae but if so it's mighty strange algae.

Also, the Marine Depot page is incorrect on one count; fire coral is not SPS. It does have small polyps (very small!) but it's not a scleractinian. It's a hydrozoan.

Eric Borneman's book has some pretty good info on fire corals. Green is rare but it does occur. And there are plenty of green corals out there!

I was just pointing out the similarities in appearance and the fact that they can color up to green, pink, orange etc.

Abs, feel free to send me a box of chocolates.

Steve, send frags dammit

I was just pointing out the similarities in appearance and the fact that they can color up to green, pink, orange etc.

Then you need glasses. Or a stronger perscription. They don't look anything alike.

like steve points out, some kind of hydrozoan. some are photosynthetic and others are strictly carnivores, not all of them pack a punch like fire corals. i've never had the pleasure of such a sting but i have to guess it wouldn't just 'sting a little' to be a true fire coral.

that thing looks huge! or is it just the photo?

Originally posted by AbSoluTc

Then you need glasses.  Or a stronger perscription.  They don't look anything alike.

Millepora shapes are highly variable depending on current and lighting. As soon as my camera batteries are done charging I'll try to get a close-up. This doesn't look like any kind of algae I have ever seen or heard of. I guess the stinging could be psychosomatic or something but I doubt it. I'm still pretty sure it's a fire coral, but if I'm wrong I'm always happy to learn something new. :)

Originally posted by Crakeur

abs, just admit you were wrong.  it's ok.  I'll still respect you.

"No you won't! I feel so dirty!"

I was definitely serious about a frag, and Steve and I are getting together in a week, so combine the shipping!

hey numb nuts. I cant believe how stupid u guys really are. That's algea. I have a ton of that crap and my mithrax crab loves it. I'll take a pic later tonight. check back around 7. And hello??? Coral doesn't grow that fast. ass hats. geez... have you tried taking a frag with some gloves or something? or do you secretly like being stung by an algea? Placebo effect.

Lets narrow it down -

What size tank is this? When did you get the rock? How long has it been in there?

That should confirm or deny this thing. So, spit it out already!

Archived