Pod Your Reef

Best ~1000GPH Pump

nanoty

Well after searching around and not finding a decent deal on used pumps I decided to just buy a couple of new ones. I found some on sale for decent prices but what are your opinions about a quality, QUIET, pump that can push about 1000GPH? I am looking at either the QO4000 or a Mag 9.5, both are around $60-70. One better that the other? Anything else I should consider?

eheim 1262 100 times better than any of those 2. Between those 2 a would go with the qo, its a little smaller and will use less wattage, unless you are thinking about the high head model then I would go with mag 9.5

Neither of those 2 are very quiet, the eheim is dead silent

Yeah but damn I could buy 2 of the other for the price of one Eheim :huh: If there is that big a difference I guess it is worth it.

One pump will be moving the water from my sump to the tank and the other will be on a closed loop system so it will be at the same level as the tank.

Thanks for the tip.

Eheim. Quiet, and runs cool. Big thumbs up, especially vs. Mag holy crap mags suck compared to them.

Your grandkids could also be using the pump for as long as it will run (well I don't really know that but...)

word of advice on mag's. My mag 3 heats a ~6 gallon water change to 85+ degrees in about 12 hours. I'd be worried about 2x 9.5s if heat is even an issue for you. Don't have any experience with quiet one's

Almost forgot, but OceanRunner pumps (~OR3500) are another good brand. Slightly on the large side, but they run pretty cool, little bit louder than eheims. Cheaper too.

yeah i was gunna say the next thing below an eheim is an oceanrunner made by aqua medic

theyre supposed to be the answer to eheims high priced but awesome pumps

i have 3 that im planning on using, all or2500 since i only wanted ~400gph after head loss

theyre cheap, low wattage and quiet

quiet ones are pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pumps....they are loud...

Ive owned a mag 9.5 and a mag 12 and they both ran near silent....They do run warm though

If I had one choice in a pump Id look into a panworld 50px-x as it will blow away every pump listed in this thread...Super quiet, strong, and runs super cool not to mention just as reliable if not more reliable than any pump on the market

quiet ones are pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to pumps....they are loud...

Ive owned a mag 9.5 and a mag 12 and they both ran near silent....They do run warm though

If I had one choice in a pump Id look into a panworld 50px-x as it will blow away every pump listed in this thread...Super quiet, strong, and runs super cool not to mention just as reliable if not more reliable than any pump on the market

That is weird because Bdare had a panworld on his 40 breeder and said it was stupid loud. I guess different strokes for different folks. Still thinking.

theres only one external pump on the market thats dead quiet, but it runs at 140w so not the most efficient and those are the velocity pumps

mag pumps are loud and hot, not worth getting

you got two choices for internal pumps that are quiet and efficient, eheim and oceanrunner

+1 for Mag 9.5. It is pretty quiet for me and I don't need a super powered heater for the tank. I am serious about that btw. You could also run it externally and not have as much heat problem. 9.5 comes stock with a 3/4" threaded fitting on it so you will either have to reduce it at some point or stick with the 3/4".

UH

I've got my 150 in the living room and use a Velocity T3 as my return pump. There is no quieter pump, and haven't seen the slight heating effect it is said to produce. Mine has been running continuously for over 4 years, with no problems. The T4 is a bit larger (1200 vs 1000 for the T3), but comes with barbed fittings which is just dumb.

mag 9.5 hands down. durable, reliable, only 3 things could ever go wrong with it and outside of warranty it would cost about $30 to fix any one of them. also quiet if you plumb it right ;)

• 4 months later...

Back from the dead.

Fate, I know your having trouble with the velocity pump heating your water too much but I really need a near silent pump. I am already having heat trouble and don't even have the MH on it yet so I might have to spring for a chiller anyways.

I'm not sure the eheim 1262 will give enough flow in my 40breeder with the closed loop I have planned.

IMG_4706.jpg

i have a quiet one 2200 and it is very quiet. I can still hear it a bit over the overflow noise (quiet also) but i would say its no louder than a standard computer fan. I don't blame you for not tossing the money for a ehiem pump neither would i. As for a return i run a genx mak 4 on my 150g system and it also runs pretty quiet, but it is external.

SeeDemTails

That loop is gonna need massive amounts of flow to work right, and the back outlets are gonna be like twice what the front ones put out. Go with a bigger pump no matter what type. More flow is better than less flow, no matter what!

I had a 700gph pump on a 15h with a loop like that and it barley did anything!

Looks good though!

I went through 2 quiteone pumps, they way over rate their flow (one said it put out 596gph at 4 feet and it was mesuared by my friend at 250gph at 3 feet)

I was in the same sitution and I ended up going Ehiem 1262, frankly I can't even hear the pump even if I stick my head in the sump area, and it is putting about 900gph at 4 1/2 feet

i have a aquaclear 5000 that pushs about 940gph that i will sell you for cheap

This is not a pump I would consider for one of my tanks.

Archived