Coral Vue Hydros

My newly started saltwater aquarium..

LonghornsFan1114

LonghornsFan1114

Hey everyone im knew in this forum.. but have had help in other forums just thought id get some other peoples INFO.

I just started a 30 gal saltwater aquarium.. I have a emperor 280 GPH bio-wheel filter, 200 watt heater, live bio-active reef sand (20lbs), a PH @ 200 GPH, a newly added 25lb live rock, and 3 damsils.

Tomorrow im getting my new lighting b/c what i had wasnt sufficient.. so i was told by many PROS! ;) but im getting 2x65 (one white and one blue).. will 130 watts be enough to support coral?

Give me all the info i need.. i was told my equipment is good except i needed to get new light which im getting tomorrow.. if you have any suggestions plz post it!! Thanks everyone

LonghornsFan1114

.. sry for double post but FYI i want to add coral ASAP.. help me and tell me when i should.. Ive had it all set up for about 5 days now.. and i check my PH,nitrate,nitrite..etc.. everyday and everything is perfect.. HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT?

coralreefengr

You are mostly on the right track with the exception of the bio-wheel IMO. With live rock, you should not need a bio-wheel. It will most likely produce unwanted nitrates. Also, is your live rock already cycled? If not, you will experience an extreme ammonia spike.

Keep tracking your water parameters. The length of your cycle seems to depend on your live rock, without knowing if it is cycled already. With live rock cycling, the cycle can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months from what I've read of other people's experiences.

CRE

LonghornsFan1114

Ahh yes my live rock has been cycled.. well is it cycled if its been in my local pet store for more than 2 months?

cuz ive noticed its been there a while.. its got all kinds of things growing on it from other coral.. HOPE ITS A GOOD THING.. they said it was

I have used cured live rock in both my tanks and still experienced a small cycle, lasting no longer that a week to a week and a half. I suggest you let it run for at least two to three weeks before you add any kind of corals at all. You will more than likey experience a diatom bloom and/or a cyano outbreak, both fairly common in new tanks.

Ditch the biowheel too!

LonghornsFan1114

Well.. Jandree, im going to keep my little bio-wheel.. as well as add more live rock so :P

.. well my first week is completed and my readings(PH,amonia, etc..) are perfect!

Would it be to early to add a coral or clown fish or both.. in just a couple days?!?!?!?!?

I think you'll find after running the tank for a while that the nitrates will be up a bit all the time. I took my biowheel out after running the tank with it for three months and my nitrate problem dissapeared.

I would wait at least another week or so and keep testing to be sure the readings stay down.

Longorn- If you look through all the members tanks and their specs I think you'll see no one with a succesfull nano is running their bio-wheel. In the long run you'll curse yourself for not taking it out. Listen to others experience and you can avoid some of the pitfalls and potential loss of livestock down the road.

I would have to agree with JohnnyMTB on this. The Bio wheel will cause you problems. I have yet to see anyone here run their biowheels in a nano and have no problems. You'd be suprised to see how many stories there are about now realizing that the biowheel was the main problem in their tanks.

LonghornsFan1114

Well I dont have enough live rock nor live sand to supplement the filtering as of right now.. I WILL TAKE IT OUT BUT it seems like i should leave it in.. i only have 25lb live rock and 20 lbs of live sand.

Thats not enough to filter it sufficently is it. (30gal)??

If so ill take it out and take it back to the pet store and get my refund :P

LonghornsFan1114

Here are my latest statistics as of week 2 day 1

Amonia - .5

PH - 8.2

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - between 0-5 couldnt tell

Are those right on track?.. am i doing good? HOPE SO!

coralreefengr

Sounds like you have a good amount of live rock. Usually people use the same number of pounds of live rock as they have gallons similarly for sand. For example 30 gallons would have 30 lbs live rock. You should be close enough. Ditch the bioballs.

CRE

I agree, you're fine for LR for now... but maybe just adding another 5-10lbs in the future would be easier on the bioload and the eyes;)

LonghornsFan1114

Ok thanks a tone everyone! The bio-wheel is now TOAST! :P

As well today ill go pick up this nice rock i saw the other day that was like 18lb, and as well ill pick up another 20 lbs of sand.

how are my lil stats that i posted up there? Here are my latest statistics as of week 2 day 1

Amonia - .5

PH - 8.2

Nitrite - 0

Nitrate - between 0-5 couldnt tell

Are those right on track?.. am i doing good? HOPE SO!

LonghornsFan1114

Well i got rid of my bio-wheel.. and i added 20 lbs more live rock.. but i havent added any more sand.

i added a new PH. bout it for now

Dont worry about more sand. I only add inhabs 1 at a time. Wait till all your readings (trite,trate,amonia) are 0. Also you are cycling with 3 damsels. Bad husbandry, there should be NO fish in there. You can't add any more fish anyways. You are at limit. + damsels are super sggresive and wiould attack your clown anyway. If I were you I'd catch those damsels and return them ASAP.

LonghornsFan1114

well im not putting any other fish in there with damsels... i know they are aggressive! i just have them in there to cycle!

when can i add inverts? to help clean my bottom?

LonghornsFan1114

Ahh yes another thing that has just started.. I have that brown algae stuff growing in my tank.. what is best way to take care of that or what should i do?

LonghornsFan1114

FYI .. everyone i did get my new lighting a couple days ago, just forgot to post it.. 2x65 watt (50/50)

Archived