Coral Vue Hydros

damsel in distress

Korbin

Ok, so I finally get my first fish after cycling my 3 gallon for a week.  I got a small blue devil damsel because they seemed like active fish.  I have lotsa live rock, and I made a cave in the middle of the small "mountain" of rock in the middle of my aquarium.  Well, the damsel will not leave the cave.  He'll dart out once in awhile after food, but other than that I never see him.  Has anyone else had trouble coaxing them out?  Its been 3 days.  Are individual damsels usually like this?  Or is he just particularly shy?

Just keep a close eye on him. I am concerned when a fish darts in a cave (and stays there) after introduction. This can indicate stress and or disease. Damsels as you know are generally bold, but I have heard of some shy ones as well. Eating is a good sign however.

Well, I dont know if you've seen my other posts lately, but I woke up the other day to find the 6 inch bristle worm that lives in that cave eating my damsel.  I dont know if it died because of disease or stress, or if the bristle worm got lucky and caught it.  My LFS said my water parameters were tip-top.

Let me rephrase:

How long did you have it?

It may have arrived in your tank on borrowed time.

What was the temp of your tank?

Does the temp fluctuate?

The LFS can't check this, only you know.

When you perform water changes do you use room temp water or heated, aerated water?

Faliure to perform the latter could stress your fish which could then lead to death.

I guess I wrote you earlier to make sure variables like these (as well as the worm) were under control before you make another purchase.

(Edited by pulpsmack at 7:16 pm on Mar. 12, 2002)

Archived