Top Shelf Aquatics

carpet anemone in Nano

phishhead

I'm having some regret about getting a carpet anemone for my nano. I was hoping it would host my clown but they're not "hooking up" yet. I haven't seen anything on the board about carpet ane. in nano tanks. Did i goof up? The LFS guy said it would be fine. I have a 11 gal. Via Aqua with a maroon gold stripped clown. I'm considering taking the maroon clown and the carpet back to the LFS. What would ya'll suggest? Thanks, JB

take it back or leave the two and don't add any corals to the tank

carpets get big, they sting other corals and they seem to eventually find the intake of a powerhead.

my opnion only of course

i agree with crak, carpets are a definite advanced species best left under MH's and larger trad-reefs. i would definitely be suspicious of any future recommendations from that lfs.

Harsh! but true. My LFS guy is soooo nice and i know he knows his reefs b/c he has an absolutely amazing set up and keeps it really clean! I'll take some photos next time i'm in there to show off his set up. OK. so the carpet is going back, what about the maroon clown i saw in a thread that my tank may be too small for his species. (11 gal Via Aqua) Should he go too? I'd love to keep him and trade in the carpet for something else that could host.... any suggestions, it seems they'll host just about anything! Thanks again for ya'lls help here. -JB

Personally I would take back the maroon too. Go with a smaller, friendlier clown (like a perc) and you'd be able to add another fish. For a host, you can use most anything but Euphyllia corals are the most anenome-like. I have a clown who's been living in a frogspawn for well over a year. Get a branching specimen with good separation between the heads. IME this seems to cut down on the trauma to the coral.

Carpets probably haven' t been brought up mainly because they really do get monstrous. There's a feller in NJ on RC trying to figure out how to get a 16" carpet out of his tank without killing it and eveything else. Yep, outgrew his 125 and is attached to about 60 lbs of LR!

Also, Maroon clowns not only get large, but nasty. ('ve seen a 5" maroon in a friend's 12" Rose BTA and it draws blood nearly every time he puts his hand in the tank..

Then again, something that no one touched on here: it could very well have been an atlantic carpet anemone, which, much like atlantic flower anemones, will not host.

OK last question.... How do i get it off the LR? Can i gently pull it off the rock or try to force my finger btwn. the LR and it's foot? It is about the size of a 50 cent piece where it's latched on the LR. Thanks! JB

well... i took back the carpet and got a small frogspawn and a green ricordia rock. Thanks for ya'lls help. Pic's coming soon -JB

well i was going for the symbiosis thing but i'm over it now. I think i'll just wait and see if the clown takes to one of my rics or the frogspawn. I decided to keep the clown due to the fact that i've grown attached to the little bugger. He stood his ground against my damsel initially and they seem to get along quite well now. My clown isn't really eating though, he'll charge the food and mouth it but then spit it out. I'm going to try some frozen food to see if he likes it better than the flakes i've been feeding him. Again, thanks -jb

• 2 weeks later...

Archived