Innovative Marine Aquariums

Noisy Tank!

ch0ch

I have just built a 7 gal nano with a 5.5 gal refuge and just filled it today with sand, water, and live rock. The only problem so far besides the normal milky water is that the over flow I use is making a ton of noise like a really loud sucking noise...

My setup for over flow is a 3/4 inch pvc pipe with a strainer at the top to stop un-wanted particles from falling.

What methods are used to stop this in nano reefs? maybe a different over flow? I dont really have the ability to play with trial and error cause budget and time is low.

Thanx for any help!

-ch0ch

if its an stand pipe you can drill some holes just above the water level in your sump on the pipes.... this will allow air the to escape threw the holes instead of threw the bottom.. i had the same probs wit my tank.. but the holes took care of it..

Have you tried using a piece of airline tubing, by placing it up into the area the air is standing at and sucking the air out to get rid of the noise? I have to do this on my overflow u tube to get rid of the flushing sucking noise.

Originally posted by bertz_maru

if its an stand pipe you can drill some holes just above the water level in your sump on the pipes.... this will allow air the to escape threw the holes instead  of threw the bottom.. i had the same probs wit my tank.. but the holes took care of it..

I second that. Also, if you can tilt the overflow pipe (if its an elbow) that helps a little.

thanx alot guys im gunna try that and let u guys know... its in my room so i cant really sleep with all this noise.... my stereo system cant even cover the noise lol...

ok i tried the stand pipe and the water would not flow down as well as the regular tube and strainer... i tried taking the top cap of the stand pipe off and it still didnt flow down as fast.. i put the holes above the water in the sump and it still didnt work... i mean the noise was gone but the flow didnt work as well...

so are there any other methods? does anyone know whats wrong?

Is your tank drilled thru the top of the back glass or thru the bottom glass? If its thru the top of the back glass, I say try just attaching a street elbow to the bulkhead and trying the holes-in-the-pipe-in-the-sump method. That worked for me. You might also try adding a ball valve to your return line so you can throttle your pump back a bit. Or get a weaker pump. Lower flow rates will lower the noise level.

Archived