Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fussy Clown

Ilove2ride

I give my fish frozen Mysis shimp once a day, and he eats the first little shimp, but after that he just spits em out! Spoiled? I'm not sure, but I've only had him for about 3 days and he seems REALLY heathy, swims all the time back and fourth...

Should he be eating more? How many "shimp" should I feed him? I thaw it out, too.

Tank Info

6 days old

24 gal

24 lbs of LR

20 lbs of LS

2 Hermits

PH- 8.2

Salinity- 1.0205 (trying to raise up!)

Temp- 77 F

Thanks for your help!

Christopher Marks

I think you simply added him too soon without letting your tank cycle properly.  Six days is pretty quick.  It's likely he won't eat because of the stress of being in a new tank.  Check your ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites.  You may need to take him back to the LFS til your tank finishes it's cycle.

How much should he be eating?

My LFS said I could cycle my tank with any fish, but damsels were  perfered because of there $cheap + hardy. He said clowns were pretty hardy too, and they were about the same price as 2 damsels- also I didn't want to tear up my tank. My LFS also said that because of the LR and LS there would be virtually no cycle, and to wait another 3-4 weeks before adding the next fish.

Thanks again

• 2 months later...
BustytheSnowMaam

My clowns would eat then spit it out for the first few days too, now that I've had them for two weeks they're eating fine and doing well.  They did a lot of things that had me worried those first few days and I posted several times to the board about it.  Everyone told me not to worry, and they were right!  

Good luck-

Tasha

Archived