SaltCritters.com

Turbo or Astraea Snail?

HogWinslow

I was on liveaquaria.com and saw what was sold to me as a Turbo snail listed there as a Astraea snail. Was my LFS wrong or is the website wrong? Are they basicaly the same snail? Is this a common mistake?

HogWinslow

turbos bulldoze. if you have sps, it's bad. if you have small rocks with corals on them, that aren't glued down, it's worse. Every morning I have at least one rock upside down on the sand thanks to the turbos.

Looks like I have the Astreas. They look just like the ones on liveaquaria.com and they are next to useless. I do find they are sensitive to nitrates. Whenever they look listless I check the nitrates and they are real high. I guess they are good for that. Kind of like the canary in the coal mine thing.

HogWinslow

Sometimes Astraeas are refered to as turbo snails. I think they are actually Turbo Astraeas, but I'm not sure.

The generically termed "turbo" snails get big, but eat a lot of algae. I have one Astraea and it doesn't do a heck of a lot. The two (out of three) active turbos I have are algae eating machines! THe third one may be decomposing as we speak...I'm sure my last remaining hermit will make a meal of him if he does die.

I don't know why my tank is a death zone right now, but I'm going to delay adding more cleanup crew until it stabilizes and some of the cursed green algae comes under control...

V

Archived