Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano tank?

CooDoo

What exactly is a nano reef tank, or nano tank? What is the difference from a regular saltwater tank in order to get a name all by itself? :)

I've thought about that too. IMO it should be anything less than 55 gallons as there are still a ton of people (lfs and books included) that advise people NOT to setup any kind of saltwater tank (reef or even fish only) on anything less than 55 because it can't be done.

Those silly stupid people. :P

I agree with less than 20, as most of the fish stores around here have changed to stating nothing less then a 29 now (for a FOWLR). A few years ago it was nothing less than a 55 ;)

I love the look on their faces when they ask me for what size tank and I tell them either the 5.5 or the pico (less than a gallon). :o Yep, they still try to lecture until you tell them how long they have been up and what is in them. Then the questions begin about dosing, skimmers, stock, etc. :D

Angel

for me it's less than 20. on this site, it's basically ofiicial that under 30 is a nano, but above 20 gallons, the tank starts to look big to a normal person, and you start getting lots of room, and you are able to keep multiple fish. yes, nano methods are still the best way to set up tanks between 20-30 gallons, but they're just so big.

yah, I hate it when they use the term 'mini-reef'X) There's no need. Most ppl call <5gal Picos, <30 Nanos, <90 mini's, and from there up they're just reefs.... it seems. I think they should call reefs 30-90 'reefs' and 90+ jumbo reefs:P

Archived