Coral Vue Hydros

In trouble

ccordero

Hi nano-reefers!.

I am in big trouble. You see, I read everything I had to read and decided to be pacient and go slow.

I got my live rock and live sand and waited for the cycle to be over. So far so good. 3 days ago I got the second shipment of live rock and cleaning crew (the package consisted of two parts, first lr and ls, wait for cycle to be over, they send the second part lr and cc) . Heck I even got an anemone for free in this package.

( i read here that it is not a good idea to have one but I decided to keep it for a while and go from there)

Now I think this was to much for my system. For the past 3 days the ammonium went to the roof. I have done water changes for the last 3 days of 30% everyday but it is still very high ( it doesnt change at all).

I don't know what to do. Do I do a MAJOR water change (50%) to see if that solves the problem? The anemome is still alive and looks good but I don't know what to do.

Please advise!

c.

you cycled the tank and then added more live rock, which put the tank back in cycle mode.

I would get the anemone out at the first sign of wilting and keep an eye on the clean up crew. The cycle should be faster than the first cycle but you will still see the spikes in ammonia, trites and trates.

Should I go and and do a major water change today (50%)?

or should I just go for a 20%. Should I do any water change at all and just wait for the ammonium to go down.

thanks

C.

"Cycle" does not have denitrification bacteria. It only has nitrification bacteria. Your live rock should have all the seed bacteria you need, especially if you've already cycled once. "Cycle" is really only useful for brand new freshwater tanks (or SW fish only with no live rock) and even then it's probably not as good as getting some used filter media from another aquarist. For anyone else, it's a waste of money.

Archived