Pod Your Reef

Dead Green Star Polyp?

fuentes925

Hello,

I just purchased a Very healthy looking Green Star Polyp from the LFS. When I got home the water in the bag was brown and there was alot of what looked like brown silt or very fine powder like stuff on the bottom of the bag, this had to come from the Polyp since the water was clean leaving the LFS and it was only a 5 min. drive home. I aclaimated the Polyp correctly and all my tests check fine, but it has been 2 day's now and the Polyp still does not want to open. Is it dead or do they take along time to reopen after the stress of being moved to a new home?

Fuentes925

Christopher Marks

They take a very long time to open compared to most corals. I've had one colony take two weeks before it opened. Generally they'll open within a week.

Not to say everyone else is wrong but when I bought mine it opened up within an hour. Maybe I got lucky.

HogWinslow

As long as the purple mat is not rotting and falling apart, you should be fine. Make sure no algae covers them when they are closed, or they will not open back up. You can LIGHTLY brush them with a toothbrush to clear them off every now and then while they're closed. That's how mine died the first time, they were smothered in crud.

However, even though they died and the mat became brittle and fell apart, the other day I saw part of the mat that drifted away, but there was a little tiny white polyp with some tips steming out, so I think my originals are making a comeback. Very cool.

I am glad to hear that my green star should be ok. I actually upon close inspection over night, have seen that some heads that were closed completely have opened slightly and close again once in a while. Although they barely make there heads visible from there tube,there does seem to be some movement.

Fuentes925

My GSP took a good day to fully open up. On the second day, there were even more polyps open than at the LFS.

They seem to like good flow, and a good helping of DT's phytoplankton every 2 or 3 days.

Archived