SaltCritters.com

One foot by one foot by one foot start up

choongkuen

Hi all. I am a beginner in reef tank setup. Recently, I have bought a tank measuring one foot cubic tank, which I initially wanted to do a planted tank. After visiting the LFS and mesmerized by the colourful reef tank, I decided to use the tank to construct a nano reef tank.

My questions from me which need the experts opinions: Is the tank too small for a beginner? I intend to keep some rocks, corals and fish. Is it possible?

Currently I have not purchased any other equipment. What do I need to set up a tank this size?

Do I need a skimmer? Or the LFS was telling me to use activated carbon, replacing it once a month is sufficient.

I really have no idea what I can do with the tank.

Please provide some experienced insights and suggestions to what I can do with this tank.

Many thanks in advance!!!

Originally posted by choongkuen

Hi all.  I am a beginner in reef tank setup.  

Read, read, and read some more!

My questions from me which need the experts opinions: Is the tank too small for a beginner? I intend to keep some rocks, corals and fish. Is it possible?

I wouldn't keep a fish in that small of a space, but that is me. I see no reason why it wouldn't make a great little nano. The rocks, corals and inverts would work.

Do I need a skimmer? Or the LFS was telling me to use activated carbon, replacing it once a month is sufficient.

I use none of that. I have a HOB and a power head for flow and do the weekly water changes.

There are many things possible with this tank, but you need to read and plan it out before diving in. Good knowledge from reading, quality rock, sand and lighting is the basic starters. Good luck!

Angel

Thanks for the advice, I am still reading up from the net. But there seem to be have some opinions that are confusing. So don't know what equipments to buy.

Will keep on reading and planning before I start. Thanks!

7.5 ga will totally work....just look at the number of minibow 7's there are here.

Like Angel said, read as much as you can (on this site!!) and you'll see where people have gone wrong, what peoples grips are with various setups, and more importantly it will keep you from going blinding into a situation that will cost you a fortune later. Don't rush it!

You don't need a skimmer and carcoal has it's purpose, but don't think you can use it as a crutch!

Archived