Coral Vue Hydros

Stand is not exactly level...

moorediddy

I'm placing a 10g nano on my desktop, but the surface of my desk isn't quite level. The tank teeters back and forth. I've heard of using corkboard underneath to absorb the height differences, but after a trip to Home Depot, and a trip to Lowe's I have returned empty handed. What about using a couple sheets of cardboard? Any ideas/comments? I would obviously trim the cardboard around the edges of the tank to hide most of it from view.

-moore

WHere will you be placing the cardboard?? Under the leg of the desk I HOPE :) I would try something a little bit more solid, carboard would probably give a little, just perpetuating the problem...

No no, the surface of the desk is warped a little I think. When I set the tank on it, the tank teeters a little, as if one corner is lower than the rest. (You know, like when you have a dinner table and one leg is shorter, the whole thing rocks back and forth when you lift it.) I thought placing a few sheets of cardboard between the tank and the desk would help cushion the difference... kind of a "pillow" to absorb the uneven pressure.

-moore

You can also check craft stores and auto stores for the cork board. I don't know about using either of these as a leveler, as I never have.

Angel

Any chance of getting a new desk? It would be far easier than levelling the tank on a warped surface (experience with a warped floor).

also, remember that the substance that you use will have a lot more weight on it when the water, rock and sand are added and something like cork will absorb the extra weight and conform to the warped desk. It might leave you with a level tank, it might not. Cork rots over time and might start decaying (especially if it gets wet) and it might need replacing over time.

Lowe's sells a kind of padded shelf liner that might be useful for this. It's synthetic so you won't have the rotting issue that you might have with cork. It also doesn't absorb water. It's only about an eighth of an inch thick but you could use multiple layers. I use it under one of my FW tanks to protect the dresser it's sitting on. It's in the same place as the shelf paper.

Archived