Top Shelf Aquatics

wanted Hang on overflow box

navymedic23

navymedic23

As it says on top i want to use a sump to keep my skimmer, heater, and need a SMALL hang on overflow. i am willing to buy or trade for one of my small tanks, let me know.

Mike

bowfrontsrock

Hey,

Try this, instead of an overflow box, I just set my sump up tonight using this method, I don't think it's ever been done before.......

Take an old HOB filter that you most likely have around, rip everything out except for the pump and tubes etc. Make a surface skimmer like the ones in the DIY forum using two tubes from HOB filters and a connector. Drill a hole into the bottom of the HOB and silicone or super glue gel some tube into it. Add a plastic valve to control flow if you want, I did, it works well. Now you have no problem with things overflowing, stoping siphons, or anything like that. Any questions just post here I'll try to answer them.

navymedic23

Dude that is funny because i was just thinking of that earler, so what you did is use the pump as opposed to syphon? i guess this is cool in case of a power outage, did you shorten the tube that goes in the tank? any pictures? instead of the water going back into the tank it went down the drilled out hole i guess, am i correct? let me know i have a very old HOB filter i can use just for that purpose. thanks for the feedback.

Mike

bowfrontsrock

I made a surface overflow from tubeing and connected it to the old HOB. The water flows down the tube and the excess water flows back out into the tank. Pictures will come later.

Archived