inTank Media Baskets

Yellow tail damsel

devil

Damsels are an excellent choice for nanos as the only fish in the system. I assure you, most are personable (and all are active) enough to keep your attention without the need to add any other fish. The only drawback to this fish is its aggressive nature. Generally speaking, the smaller the tank, the meaner the fish. This is often true with the damsel, who will likely claim the entire area as its territory and will mercelessly harrass other tankmates.

If you want to have another fish then you might want to observe a few things. First you should have at least a 10 galon tank for 2 fish (for territory and bioload reasons). You should also add the damsel last, as a fish added after the damsel has established territory is likely a goner. here are 2 suggestions if you avsolutely must add another fish (and have observed the first 2 suggestions).

1. Consider a fish that has nothing to do with the habits of the damsel. Someone claimed sucess with a scooter blenny and a damsel. Perhaps because they both have a different diet (which means no competition for food), and they swim at different levels in the tank (out of sight, out of mind).

2. Match the aggression of the damsel. A perfect complement to the damsel is the pugnacious magenta dottyback. Dottybacks generally won't mess with damsels, but they certainly won't put up with their crap either. I considered adding one to my 12 (I already have a yellow-bellied blue damsel), but I rather have a 100% stress-free environment rather than one with an uneasy truce.

and inverts???what is best?

are they simbiotic when they small (like clowns and small dominos)????

what corals should i put with them?????

Damsels generally do well with most inverts. I did have a neon damsel with obsessive compulsive disorder once. His plan was to herd all crabs and snails into the corner of the tank. If one of them sneaked off during his rounds he would find it, pick it up in his mouth and spit it back in the corner. He simply would not allow snails to be on their backs either. He would flip them over which was a great service to me.

My current damsel lives peacefully with all inverts in the tank. The only thing he messed with was a gorgonian that I introduced, but he's a Pacific fish and it's an Atlantic coral. I suppose he was just wondering what the hell it was. I have heard that some damsels may nip at soft polyps (like dwarf angels do) but have never witnessed this, nor do I know anybody that has. A nice assortment of beginner corals (i.e. mushrooms, star polyps, & zooanthids) should do well in the tank with your damsel. I haven't heard of a symbiotic blue damsel.

Archived