inTank Media Baskets

top off

koj11

I'm setting up a 7 gallon aga minibow. I will be using the csl 32w smartlite retrofit along with a couple fans installed for cooling. I'm considering an auto top off, but I'm not really sure if it will be worth the extra money or setup hassle. What I need to know is how much evaporation you have if you have this same setup. Please also advise if you have removed the glass cover or left it on (I'm hoping I can leave it). Thanks in advance.

I happen to have the same setup so I can speak from experience at least. For one, you're going to be pretty happy with it. The tank is just an attractive design, the hood will accomadate the 32 watt CSL very well and that is surely enough light for just about anything you could want to put into such a tank. I mean, look on the gallery and see how may guys use that exact same setup.

Personally I do not worrry too much about the heat so you may wish to hold off on the fans. I live in Texas and the most my air conditioner can keep the temp down to in my apartment is 78 during the summer days, with the tank being about 79 with the lights off during those times. So I run my lights from about 5 pm to 4 am. I stay up late so I can turn them off myself and have plenty of time to look at the fish as I cruise the net late into the night. At night the ambient temp in my apartment is about 71 and with the lights also on, the water temp holds pretty steady at 78.5. I think I even see the heater go on once in a while.

Back when I ran the lights during the day, I used to keep a 14 inch pedestal fan aimed at the back of the tank near the HOB filter which kept the temp steady at 78.5 and the heater would go on every once in a while. Maybe that isn't the kind of fan you were thinking of, but it's one way to keep the water cool if you wana run your light during the day. Of course, if your AC actually works and the ambient temp in the room is usualy 72 or so during the day, you could probably have the lights on then as well. Experiment. All I am saying is that you can probably get away just fine witout fans.

One thing though.....if the ambient temp is 71 and you have that fan blowing on the water, you're going to be wicking away more heat than a 50 watt heater can replace and the water temp will drop to something like 72. I found that out the hard way when I once left the fan running when the sun was out and the ambient temp in the room was 78. Well by the time I got home, it was dark and the ambient temp in the room had dropped to about 71. The tank was then at 72. Ooops!

I'll usually pour about 3/4 of a cup of water in per day if I have had to have the fan running, which I don't do too often. Usually, therefore, it's about 1/2 cup a day. Do you need an auto top-off? No. Do they make life easier? Yes, they do. Do I have one? No, so i can't talk a lot about their setup and use. I guess I am averse to the idea of using some electronically controlled contraption which is capable of flooding my tank if it just ALL goes wrong one day.

BTW, the instructions that come with the CSL retrofit you are going to order are pretty good.........that is, only if you're installing it in an Eclipse hood. It doesn't say how to do it in a 7 bow AGA hood. I made an initial mistake or two installing mine, but in the end I figured out a good, solid way to do it. I wrote my install method down and mailed it to another reefer at his request once, and i'd be happy to do the same for you if you like. I think there are a few things in there which you are going to be glad I mentioned before you run into them yourself. And so what if you don't use the advice? It's free. If you want me to send you MY instructions which I used for a successful install, just ask via e mail and I will send them to you. My mail is swXXXordfish@grandecom.net. Remove the X's before sending.

Good luck!

JCS

definitely get the auto top-off imo. it's made my life so much easier for my nanos and trad-reefs. properly topping off was always my main problem when i first got into nanos. physh's top-off is very effective and affordable. (californiareefs.com or the vendor or diy section)

keep the glass if you're going to have fish. the glass will have buildup in salt creep and significantly cut down on your light transmission tho. if you're not keeping fish or your retrofit will cover most of the 7g then it's obviously not necessary. hth

or jsut buy one from california reefs and not have to build it yourself or spend more money....sounds good to me

Ok, so a question for those with the top off system. I looked at the one on california reefs, and it looks very nice, but aren't you afraid of when it fails? Note I said when and not if...invariably, over some length of time, it will fail for some reason or another and you'll have a mess...either from coralline build up or salt creep or something I would think. Maybe I'm wrong....anyone want to chime in on that? How long have those with the system had it up and running?

well obviosuly like with everything else you haev to maintain it...you keep the salt creep and coraline cleaned off of it and make sure everything is in working condition. i had mine setup for about 4 monthsand no problems. i took that tank down and dont need one on my new tank because it is sealed pretty tight meaning no evap. i loved the auto topoff though and even left my tank unattended for a month with no problems.

Archived