Cultivated Reef

Coral Beauty

rhinoivory

I have decided that roughly 80% of my tank ius going to be made of corals, e.t.c. The two perculas will fit beautifully and hopefully take a sarcophyton as a host, but I was wondering how the Coral beauty will fair.

There is planned to beroughly 4 inch clearence at the front of the tank, 4 inches at the back, 2 inches on the side and 4 inches in the middle and heaps of little nooks e.t.c that coral beautys like. But will this be enough ? The tank is a 20 gallon.

Christopher Marks

Well, I will say that I have kept a dwarf flame angel in a 7.5 gallon before.  They seem to do well in a nano.  I certianly wouldn't recommend placing on in a tank as small as mine, but I think it would be ok in your 20 gallon.  I don't know as though I would keep it with anything else though...or atleast until the tank is well matured and you are religously doing your waterchanges each week.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I disagree, dont' put a fish that likes to swim in a crowded area which permits it.  ITs like housing a tang in a small crowded tank.

• 1 month later...

i had a flame and he did pick at my coral mainly my SPS which included some of my montipora and my pocillapora however he didnt care much for my softies like my shrooms polyps and pulsing xenias

(Edited by Brentrick at 7:23 pm on Jan. 8, 2002)

• 2 months later...

Sadly the flame is (arguably) the most well behaved centropyge regarding reefs. I feel that the centropyge family is unacceptable for small tanks in general (i.e. perhaps 30 gallons or less). Many can live in this environment but they aren't going to be very happy doing so. If your heart is set on putting a centropyge in your 20 then I'd suggest the Centropyge Argi (cherub angel). I have heard of 2 spawning in a 20, but I certainly wouldn't put one in a tank any smaller.

P.S. Centropyges can be mean, particularly the Centropyge Argi. They also become significantly more aggressive when there is less space in the tank.

groove machine

yep i agree pulpsmack, my favourite is the acanthops [fireball angel] a lovely little fish which doesnt seem to be as grouchy as the rest i have one in a 22 gallon with a blue damsel and they get along fine

• 3 weeks later...

I had a coral beauty for a while and it picked at corals for the first week or so but after that it was only on occasion that I would see it nibbling at one.

Archived