Innovative Marine Aquariums

JBJ 28g HQI, College Reefin

pudge1515

Hey guys, well I finally decided to get another tank after giving my girlfriend my last one. I just couldnt resist staying away from the hobby. Im really excited about this tank cause I actually have the money this time to get all the equipment I need to get this tank looking really good. I went with the JBJ 28 gallon HQI instead of making my own custom cube because one I did not want to deal with a sump and plumbing and two this tank will be much easier for me to move next year when I leave for pharmacy school. Well lets get started, the tank has only been up for 2 days and is currently cycling. My stocking plans are going to be tons of zoanthids, rics, shrooms, frogspawn, xenia, gsp, clam and a brain. As for the fish I want to get a pair of percs (dont know if I want to spend the extra money yet and get bnw), mandarin (I am currently figguring out a way with my LFS to cultivate pods and yes I know these are extremely hard to keep in such a small tank but I think I have enough experience to keep it thriving), and some other fish I have yet to decide on. Also in about two weeks I will be ordering an ATO for this tank, koralia 1, and maybe an Aqua C Remora. I am running the MH right now to see if it has any heat issues and so far after two hours of being on the temp is at 80.7 with a room temp of 73, so far so good. Well here are a couple of boring pics of the aquascape. Well Ill post some pics in a couple of weeks when the cycle is done and I get my first inhabitant. Thanks for looking and happy reefing

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1352.jpg

IMG_1351.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I got some stuff in the mail today

JBJ ATO

IMG_1358.jpg

AquaController JR with ph and temp probe and DC 8, this thing is awsome

IMG_1359.jpg

The next and last piece of equipment I will be purchasing is an RO/DI unit. The tanks doing great, its near the end of the cycling with all parameters reading 0 and all I have now to deal with for a few days is the diatom bloom. I was pretty fortunate with the cycle being pretty small do to the established rock I used with a little new rock. I also added a couple hermits and snails to help with the algea but I should be moving a couple of my corals over from my girlfriends tank that she was holding for me next week so check back for more updates.

looking good.... your thread and my thread dont seem to be getting much love, but hopefully that will change. I will be following along...

Well its been 2 weeks with the CUC in there cleaning up for me so I decided to add some of my frags that I had in another tank. I added nice piece of frogspawn, xenia, red mushrooms, ricordias, gsp and some assorted zoas and everything seems to be really enjoying the tank especially my ricordia and mushrooms, I have never seen them get so big! As for future stocking plans I am waiting for my LFS to get a nice clam, bubble coral, sun coral and a nice big piece of orange monti cap to on the top rock along with some assorted SPS. Here is a quick update pick of the tank and sorry about the crappy lighting I have the light cycle going on my controller and right now its on dusk but Ill get some better pics with the MH on. Dont mind the algea either the diatom blooms are are just about ending :D.

IMG_1388.jpg

Hey thanks for the comment Kieth

Heres a lot better pics of the tank with the MH on, and you gotta love the diatoms

Right Side, this picks a little distorted from the angle I had the camera but u guys should get the idea

IMG_1394.jpg

Left Side

IMG_1393.jpg

and FTS

IMG_1391.jpg

Well thats about it for now, I just order a new 20k Ushio bulb so that should get here by the end of the week so I might post some new picks up this weekend for comparison shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, heres a small update shot on the tank. I havent added any new inhabitants to the tank but I did move some stuff around and I still need to glue some of my zoanthids to the rocks. I probably wont be bying anything for this tank for about 2 months cause I need to fix up my car but future purchases will be an open brain, clove polypys and some blue shrooms. Oh ya, I also got my new Ushio 20k bulb in about 2 weeks ago and I love it. It makes the colors pop a little more than the 14k bulb did and its not too blue to where it looks unatural. Well heres a shot of the tank so far, thanks for looking

Tankpic1.jpg

Cool tank. Your corals all look like they're doing really well, particularly the Xenia which can be very temperamental. You should see good growth in your Hammer too. Good going!

Thanks archie and Claire for the great comments. Well I got bored today cause I just got through taking a big physiology test and now I dont have anymore studying to do so I decided to takes some pics for you guys that show you some of my other interests in life in addition to a brand spanking new FTS with even less diatoms than the last one. I know you guys are pumped!

Ok first off here is the reason for me not spending every single penny I have on my tank. I just got it repainted 3 days ago with the new bumper and side mirrors and its 1995 BMW 325i with 80k miles. I got from my neighbor who had to go to a retirement home for $4500, so I jumped on the deal. On to the pics

IMG_1440.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

My crazy weimerainer Hunter and I

IMG_0758.jpg

And here is a new FTS along with a new addition that I rescued from the back of my LFS's tank that he had forgotten about. Now they were not the exact color of clove polypes that I was looking for but I knew they would grow out nicely once they healed up.

Clove polypes

clovepolyppic.jpg

Tankpic3Apr24.jpg

Thats all for now and thanks for looking

• 2 weeks later...
pudge1515

Hey guys I just couldnt resist bying another coral for the tank. I went to the LFS and they had this massive fiji leather that I had to have and it was only $45 so I jumped on it. And I also redid my aquascape cause I thought the last one made the tank look kinda empty so heres the new pics. I hope u guys like it

New leather

leather.jpg

And the new Aquascape

FTSMay9.jpg

Hey thanks Lalani, and ya i know im extremely lucky to have a tank while in college :D , now the only hard part is having to move it when I leave pharmacy school...

tanks look really good...i just moved my 12g ap back home from school if I had to do it different i would have started with the tank on somthing easier to carry than just the tank like a piece of wood with handles or somthing

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the great comments guys :D . Ok so I consider myself extremely lucky now to have such a great vendor only 30 min away from me, especially here in Oklahoma. The other day I talked to Dustin over at Zoanuts, nicest guy you will ever meet btw, and he was kind enough to let me come over and pick out some corals. So I took a trip over to his place and picked a nice T clam, Red Trachyphyllia and a 3 headed dunkan. I got all this for only $100!!! I also added a new pistol shrimp to the tank. Hes really cool looking and im not quite sure what type he is but once I can get a clear pic of him Ill post it up. He has blue legs.... Oh ya I am also leaving for Florida in 2 days and I will be gone for 10 days but my roomate is going to watch the tank for me and alls he has to do is really feed the clownfish every other day so that shouldnt cause too many problems. After vacation I will start the hunt to find my new pistol shrimp a yellow headed watchmen goby so that should be fun but here is an updated FTS with the new stuff in it. Enjoy

The duncans are still pissed from me moving them so they are not out but ill get a better pic of them when I get back

FTSMay22.jpg

And heres a pic of the right side of the tank

rightside.jpg

Thanks for looking guys and happy reefing!

It's definately really late to be saying this, but I love your rockwork... If I had the guts to redo mine, I'd make it exactly like that

HE LIVES!!!!!!!!

Welcome back!!!

Tank looks VERY nice.

Don't know if I ever told you this, but I used to live in NW OKC.

Also, you clearly have no pudge whatsoever so what's the story on the SN?

Hey thanks veshman, ya i was lucky cause I decided I didnt like my aquascape early so i did not have too many corals to move around so it was pretty easy.

Hey Weetabix!!!! Long time no see. Yes I live, lol. I have been around I just didnt have a tank for a while, and about the name I got it when I was playing baseball cause there is a major league baseball player named Ivan Rodriguez who had the nickname Pudge and my last names Rodriguez too so everyone called me pudge and it just kind of stuck from there. And I think you did tell me you lived in okc, I love Oklahoma but it does not have too much in the way of fish stores but thats ok cause now I have zoanuts :D. How have you been and hows the display tank doin?

Haven't been to Zoanuts in person cause he moved there after I moved away. :angry:

He only lives about 10-15 mins. NW of where I used to live though, kinda funny.

Display tank needs a little tweaking at the moment.

It's not doing awful, but doesn't look as good as in the last pics I posted of it.

I'm working on it, a little at a time.

Nice to see you back. :happy:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Here is a quick update. Not much has changed since I got back from Florida except I moved my clam to my girlfriends tank that has a couple other clams already in it and it makes it easier to feed it and not polute my nice clean tank with phyto. Ill probably move it back to my tank once it gets bigger and I dont have to feed it as much. Everything is growing well and my clowns are starting to mature now so hopefully they will be a mated pair soon. I have been looking for a nice goby for my pistol shrimp but I think I might end up getting a yellow watchmen goby in the end. Well heres some pics of the tank. Enjoy and thanks for looking.

rics.jpg

Duncans.jpg

Bams.jpg

June9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank looks awesome. You did a great job of picking coral that go well together. The colors and textures look great. Good job!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey thanks rhogeo

Well I got a couple of new things since the last post. First off I would like to introduce to you guys the newest member of the family.......

Optimus!!!

Optimus.jpg

I love this little guy, he adds a lot of entertainment to the tank and Im really glad I got him

The next purchase I made was a really nice torch coral that I got from the one and only Zoanuts, I had never seen a torch have this nice deep purple color before and I needed some purple in my tank.

Torch.jpg

And last but not least a FTS for the records

FTSJune27.jpg

I also purchased a mighty mite RO/DI unit. This little thing is awsome and is perfect for this size tank. I would highly recomend the unit to anyone that has a nano. The corals have never looked better since I switched to RO/DI. I bet you guys probably noticed my brain in the middle and its making a slow recovery. Oh ya and the picture makes it look completely bleached cause of the white sand but it has a good bit of tissue left on it. It started to decline when I went on vacation and I noticed my pepermint picking at it so I have been feeding it tiny bits of mysis to try to get its tissue to grow back. Well thats about it for now, hope you guys enjoy my tank

Archived