Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

400 watt MH light I got

mry

well got this MH light made by RUUD lighting says HID 400wat on it and I go to the company web site and it says it is a MH light RUUD lighting web site My light just has the ballast and the socket for the bulb no reflector though (got it from a Hippy that used it for an indoor garden in his garage) I am guessing that I can use any MH bulbs in this. It even says that it can be used in damp conditions....this thing is a beast it is pretty big. anyone know any cheap bulbs so I can test it out?? thanks all

Check on the ballast to see what type it is... Doubt it is electronic, but maybe core&coil, most likely magnetic. If it is magnetic it wont produce the proper energy for any bulb higher than 6500K...unless you use an IWASAKI bulb. Bottom line is that many bulbs, like the german 10,000K on up and the blueline need a pulse start or electronic ballast to even fire the bulb up. But word of mouth is that the IWASAKI brand bulbs work with anything.

slap a home depo bulb in there. If it lights up then any bulb rated for a core and coil balast will work. ( I would email the company first though and see if it is a pule start or none pusle start balast if you cant open it up or dont want too. )

I just e-mailed the company (they are about 20 minutes away from my house I just found out)....I am guessing if the light is good to go I will give it to who ever buys my cube tank as I am selling it and getting a new tank...would be great for the deep cube. I will let you all know what kind of ballast it is as soon as they get back to me...thanks all...daniel

well they got back to me and said it is a core & coil ballast and to check out http://www.hidirect.com/ and venture lighting for bulbs. ..so is a core and coil ballast ok? thanks all

just got a mogal base mercury vapor 175 watt bulb and tested it in it...it worked and put out a really white light...is it safe to use lower wattage bulbs in this?

well I put it on top of my 38 gal and it looked like someone ####ed in my tank...not at all like my twin 96 watt 50/50 set up...but it works just now have to find a good cheap MH bulb that is blue/white..not the MV bulb that I have...though did see a MV bulb that was over 6500k that I may try.thanks....

You will prolly find those to be rather yellow as well. You might want to check out a ushio or other bulb rated more like 10,000K or 14,000K if you prefer the blue.

Archived