Top Shelf Aquatics

Mantis shrimp problem

peppermint22

peppermint22

Bad news. I think my live rock came with some hidden critters. Yesterday I saw a tiny, white/silver crustacean no longer than 1 cm scuttling about among the crushed coral. It had a long segmented body with its posterior curled up. On its anterior were a pair of stuff (forelegs) that made it look like a preying mantis. I can't really tell if it's a mantis shrimp, but if it is, how do I get rid of it?:unsure:

You can buy mantis shrimp traps for about $10. Bait them, put them in at night, and you got one. Well, I had used one a long time ago and it worked. Don't know how anyone else's success goes. Seems a lot easier than trying to flog around with a net.

Maybe bait the net?? :)

It is quite likely an amphipod. This may be useful: http://www.reefs.org/hhfaq/

I've had a bunch of them in my tank from the beginning, so if they are mantis shrimp... hmm, that would explain what happened to my emerald crab, wouldn't it? :blush: But I think they're amphipods anyhow.

peppermint22

I'm saved from the mantis shrimp problem, but there's another: my live rock came with (what I think it is) glass anemone. I've read that they are pests as they sting coral, but what about fish? I've got 2 ocellaris clowns in there. What would happen if I just left them in there? They do look kinda cute???

I don't think you have to worry too much about anemonies stinging your clownfish. ;) But if you've got unwanted pest anemonies you do have to watch out for them reproducing like crazy and stinging your corals. On the other hand, if you like them, they're certainly easy to care for.

I do have to wonder if a clownfish would take a really huge aiptasia as its host... ???

Archived