Pod Your Reef

red slime

bertz_maru

ok.. i have a 5.5 gal tank.. it has been up and running for almost a month. well when i put ls and lr rocks i began to cycle my tank.. well a few days has past then i started to get the red slime. (cyano) i did a search on this stuff here at NR... i found numbers of things on it... all the causes and all... well since then i started topping off with ro water, added a 10gal fuge, added macro, been doing 10% water change every week, added more hermits and more snails, i even stop my light cycle at one point, added carbon, changed my PC lights with brand new hellolights PC, bout to upgrade to a 70w mh, watching how much i feed my fish... hmmm... oh yeh and plus i have been taking it out with a turkey baster... but this stuff is crazy.. it doesnt go away... this is my first nano and im new to the hobby.. but this stuff makes me wanna quit the hobby... am i missing something? i know they have cyano killers but i dont have the money to buy it.. maybe someone here might have some left over to treat 20gals of water? or maybe im doing something wrong... ugh.. any one else having this problem? im asking for help at this point.... thanks

If your nitrates are high the algae blooms will be too. You can add maracyn to the water to kill the red slime. I use it on my 29g aga and my 5.5g aga and in 24 hours after using it all the red slime algae is gone. you just drop it in and it desolves in the water and starts killing the slime.

Cyano is a sign of too many nutrients...you've got a fuge..but that might not cut it on nutrient export..especially if you've got a lot of die off on your LR (this sometimes happens..and is sometimes from things you can't see..trapped in the rock, decaying..)..as far as biological means of removal...conchs sometimes eat it...a lot of snails will graze on a bit of it...and cyano IS a natural part of any marine ecosystem..there are usually just other things that outcompete it/eat it. Its also fairly common to newer tanks...give it a couple of months and it may go away...of course..keep siphoning it where you see it...but give your tank time (lots of time...and then some more..only bad things happen fast in reefing..the first year of any tank can be hell..)

A couple things to add -- if you're using flake food, try switching to frozen. The more processed the food, the more stuff (stabilizers and the like) is in it that critters can't eat, but algae / cyano can use.

Also ... if you're growing macro in your refugium, it might be nutrient-limited. That is, it's missing something to outcompete the cyano. Folks often find that dosing iron really helps the macro grow and out-compete the nasty stuff. Iron worked wonders for me -- I can pull a cup of macro from my 20 gallon's refugium every couple weeks.

Archived