ReefCleaners.org

the cyborg

Korbin

Well, here is my 15 gallon that I have been working on. I'm still going to add a couple peices of rock on the back wall to give me some space between SPS and euphilia - thats going to be the main focus of the tank. I have a green torch on the way, but its still being quarentined. And I plan to get one more type of frogspawn. Hopefully in the future I'll buy a nice acro colony or maybe a bunch of frags.

Specs:

Lighting: 150 watt DE metal halide 10K

15 gallon tall black seal display with 15 gallon sump/fuge

5 gallon macro algae growing capacity

1" drain and return (I know the drain is set too low)

powerhead 802 return pump from fuge

maxijet 600 in tank for extra circulation

auto topoff w/float switch

ebo jager heater keeps temp between 78 and 81

specific gravity: 1.027

alkalinity: 10 dkH

calcium: unkown

I add kent calc/alk combo every day and test every few days

20 lbs sand/aragonite

30-35 lbs rock total

8 types of macro algae

1 branching green frogspawn

1 green tipped hammer

2 misc. acro frags

1 purple/brown monitpora colony

1 pink birdsnest frag

1 steel blue acropora frag (i got it today:))

1 orange/red montipora carpicornus frag

cleanup crew is 18 baja ceriths, 5 other ceriths, 1 trochus, 1 big turbo, 2 scarlet red hermits, 1 black mystery hermit, 2 mini blue leg hermits, 1 nassarius snail, 1 emerald crab.

Like I said before, I plan to have all euphilia along the bottom of the tank and SPS along the top. Hopefully the centerpiece will be my pink birdsnest - unless I buy an acro colony in the future.

Here's the cyborg

Got this from UnderwaterRealms on RC. This stuff is supposed to grow fast, so hopefully I'll make this my centerpiece (if I quit dropping it on my hammer coral)

1.5 months in and not a speck of algae. Thanks to the sump and not feeding a shred of food. I'm not giving the hair algae ANY chances this time. :ninja2: The sump is lit with a 32 watt 50/50 (actually my eclipse hood) and a couple of bookworm lights.

got a good shot of the blue polyps. Looks like I'm gonna need to make the black background permanent. And this is under a 10K with no actinics. yet.

Very Nice !!!

How do you people get that drain/return setup to work?

I tried it once and either the tank would overflow or the drain would constantly gurgle very loudly.

DAP: I have more specs in the DIY section. It shows how I silenced it. Basically I used 1 inch fexible tubing and drilled holes in the drain pipe to let air through - and reduce gurgling. It still makes a bit of noise but doesn't drive me crazy.

Very cool setup. Just curious was that tank labeled as an 18g tall like mine was? I have basically the same setup as you, except I recently added a 32w actinic(a csl 32w retro screwed onto a peice of wood then suspended over the tank like a pendent Lol) in addition to the 150w de pendent.

No the tank is a 15. Its the same as a 10 gallon, but taller. I think the 18 gallon is the same thing but taller still.

Thanks for the compliments

Yeah ok. Just asking because I have the exact same sized tank as yours but it was labeled as an 18 instead of a 15. I had to put its dimensions into an online tank calculator to find out it was a 15.

Hey its nice to see you are around still. :)

I like the look of your setup. It looks very neat. You'll be getting some nice clams soon? - I would :D You got lots of light there. Lots of potential for that setup.

Keep up the good work.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They don't look much different than they did. Just a little bit bigger. I'm going to be installing a 20K XDE bulb in a few days, so I'll take more pics once I get it burned in.

Archived