inTank Media Baskets

Planted Nano Reef

Wheeler

Hey gang,

I'm just now becoming interested in the reef stuff, but I've been a long time FW planted aquarium hobbyist. I'd like to give a reef using lots of Macroalgae a shot. Basically, a plant tank with SW species. I'd also like to include some easy inverts and maybe a fish or 2 while getting my feet wet as it were. Here are my questions:

Where is a good place to start learing the different species of macroalgae and their requirements? Pics would be awesome.

Any suggestions about equipment I *need* would really be appreciated. I plan to use a 10-15g aquarium.

Has anyone else done this sort of thing?

I'd really appreciate *any* kind of help. Book suggestions and web-sites with info and pics are welcome.

deacon hemp

imo they look sweet,you should probably stay away from a few types of caulerpa.halimedia is a nice macro that wont take over,you want to research macros theres a forum on reefcentral dedicated to macro algeas.hope to be of some help.

deacon hemp

You may even consider trying to setup a "seagrass" type habitat, putting in some turtle grass and corals native to that habitat (only one that comes to mind right off the top of my head is Catalyphyllia jardinei [Elegance}..but I'm sure there are more). You may also consider adding an anemone when you get more experience..as many are indigenous to the seagrass beds (LTA's, some carpets). The advantages are that the organisms you keep are from a "higher nutrient" area than the reef itself and that you get a ton of export by having the macroalgae and the turtlegrass...you could probably kick up the fish stocking level a bit without too much of a detrimental effect (over time of course). You're probably going to want to go heavy on the sand..light on the rock in this kind of setup to keep it looking more "natural"...so give your tank some extra time to cycle and get a built up population of sandbed infauna. (Get some sand samples from local reefers and/or online..good way to get lots of little beasties in there..)

HTH...

Oh...one more thing...the Waikiki Aquarium has a longstanding seagrass tank setup....dunno if they have pics or a site or anything..just remember reading about it in one of Ron Shimek's articles....

TY, Deimos & deacon hemp.

What kind of light will I be able able to get away with on a smaller tank like that with a variety of inverts and macros. I use PC's for the plant tanks, but I've always wanted to try a 70w MH or MV on a 10g. I see that you like MH's, Deimos ;) Any reason not to do MV?

I have this vision of some rock, and lots of Caulerpas that I believe I could manipulate into fields. I know I'll have to keep up with trimming to suppress their urge to go sexual, but that easy enough.

I keep seeing these red algae called "Tang Heaven" (Gracillaria sp?) that most people seem to use for their 'fuges and fish food. Is there a way to attach this type of algae to live rock?

Is there a good online source for purchasing different macros?

Thanks in advance for entertaining my ?'s.

deacon hemp

Wheeler:macros grow outta control under MH at least in my experience.i've never used a 70 watter but it would grow macro good for a 10 gal,dont waste your $$ on a MV i assume it's mercury vapor=wrong spectrum.Tang heaven is a pretty macro that doesnt grow out of control IME,the way you attach macro to rock is simply let the two touch,they grab a hold on anything pretty easy!

Demios's idea of a seagrass setup is a great idea IMO and i have seen the tank at the waikki aquarium in pics it is a stunner!

If I was to do a planted SW I would do a large enough tank to keep a grazer (tang or whatever) Most sea plants grow really fast, and in a 10 you would be continually maintaining them. ALTHOUGH a planted tank with Seahorses would be VERY cool..hmmmmm. Gotta go set up new tank, bye!

P.S. Id do at least a 20 T. 75 gal if you want to keep a tang.

Thanks for the reply,

I'm continually trimming and maintaining plants in my FW tanks. It seems to me that FW plant tanks are alot more "doing" than SW reefs. I've constantly got a hand in the tank, whether it's removing a dead leaf, or fixing the position of a plant, rock, etc... My biggest concern is not wasting money on mistakes in the SW realm. Especially with equipment. I HATE replacing crappy or inappropriate equipment.

I am fully aware of how fast an algae can grow-- HAHA!! In FW systems, algae are the *supreme* enemy. It's hard for me to believe sometimes that I would be willing to set-up a really expensive tank for them.

I really don't care about the fish. It's all about the algae ;) Thanks again for the reply.

Is there a good online source for purchasing Macro Algae?

Archived